Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for vegan sunblock.

Options
  • 26-04-2018 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭

Hi.

What is some recommended vegan sunblock?

Cheers.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

What would be in most of them that wouldn't be vegan? Badger is an expensive physical sunblock but good for sensitive skins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

Weyhey wrote: »
    What would be in most of them that wouldn't be vegan? Badger is an expensive physical sunblock but good for sensitive skins.

Hi Weyhey. Ones that are not tested on animals and that also don't contain animal products.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

superdrug own brand, solait. Also on their site is a vegan filter for other ones.
    The green people which they sell in shops here afaik https://www.greenpeople.co.uk/
    I think the jason one is vegan too.

I use ultrasun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 TurnItOn AndOffAgain

What's your budget ?

Vegan sunscreen SPF 30 : DeVita, Kiss my face, Coola, all availables from Iherb.

I'd say it's more for the face, they are a bit small (75 ml) and not unexpensive. The Kiss my face one is water resistant.

For body I used UVBio SPF50, it's great. Also water resistant, and a bit white.

Cheers Tar.Aldarion & TurnItOn AndOffAgain.

• Advertisement

superdrug own brand, solait. Also on their site is a vegan filter for other ones.
    The green people which they sell in shops here afaik https://www.greenpeople.co.uk/

I use ultrasun.

So that's 'superdrug.com'? The vegan filter is damn handy. Cheers. :-)

Yes, Jason looks like it's vegan alright: https://www.onegreenplanet.org/lifestyle/5-natural-and-vegan-sunscreens-for-summer/

What's your budget ?

Vegan sunscreen SPF 30 : DeVita, Kiss my face, Coola, all availables from Iherb.

I'd say it's more for the face, they are a bit small (75 ml) and not unexpensive. The Kiss my face one is water resistant.

For body I used UVBio SPF50, it's great. Also water resistant, and a bit white.

I'm not too fussed on price. I've plenty to choose from now. Thanks.

I use ultrasun.

BTW - what SPF do you use?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I only started using it and it's 30. Higher is better but it has diminishing returns. SPF 15 blocks ~93% of UVB, SPF 30 = ~97%, SPF 50 = 98%. One that is high blocking UVA and UVB is best, so if one advertises that go for it. I've not looked into them too much yet as I traditionally didn't think about it and this one was a gift. Most important is to reapply during the day i think.

Here's a question.

I'm inside and apply sunblock (let's say for example that it needs to be re-applied once ever 2 hours) and go outside 30 minutes later into full sunshine. Would I need to re-apply the sunblock 90 minutes later again or 120 minutes later?

In other words - is the sunblock being used up even if I'm not in the sun?

• Advertisement

Probably depends on how sweat resistant it is, how hot you are, is it physical or chemical sun cream. If not too hot inside direct sunlight time is probably fine, maybe a bit shorted just to sweat/oils from your skin

Probably depends on how sweat resistant it is, how hot you are, is it physical or chemical sun cream. If not too hot inside direct sunlight time is probably fine, maybe a bit shorted just to sweat/oils from your skin

Cheers TA.

Physical or chemical sunblock is new to me. Do you prefer chemical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 TurnItOn AndOffAgain

I'd say to re-apply as stated, even if you are inside, just to be safe. Also depends how sensitive your skin are.

Advertisement