Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just found out I'm pregnant - hospital help?

Options
  • 26-04-2018 6:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Nervously saying that I just got my bfp - baby no.2. Our 1st will be 2 next month. Due on new years day by the online calculators. Literally just started trying "properly" after just seeing what happened since our 1st was born without any positive tests.

We recently moved to Kildare and I had my 1st in a hospital in the country - small regional hospital and I went private as it was a bit cheaper than in Dublin. I had a few troubles towards the end of my pregnancy and I did love having my own consultant but ultimately he wasn't at the birth and thankfully I didn't need him but my baby needed a bit of help and I was treated so well.

Now we have moved I don't think we can afford to go private as I know it's nearer €4000 in Dublin. Think we will go to the Coombe please God hoping that this little bean sticks as you can have some appointments in Naas Hospital I think.

I have VHI covering a private room but that's all, has anyone booked semi private with the Naas/Coombe clinics? The €1,000 ish fees would be ok.

I don't know what to do so I would appreciate any advice - I should add I'm delighted/scared/nervous in equal amounts. I just started a new job in January just gone and I am on contract till summer 2019 so afraid they won't renew my contract now that I'm after getting pregnant.

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Can’t help re the Coombe but re employment- they can’t let you go or not renew your contract because you’re pregnant. The 12 month time for unfair dismissals doesn’t apply when pregnant, and the court awards aren’t capped
    Like other employment cases ... it’s taken very very seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

br2015 wrote: »
    Nervously saying that I just got my bfp - baby no.2. Our 1st will be 2 next month. Due on new years day by the online calculators. Literally just started trying "properly" after just seeing what happened since our 1st was born without any positive tests.

We recently moved to Kildare and I had my 1st in a hospital in the country - small regional hospital and I went private as it was a bit cheaper than in Dublin. I had a few troubles towards the end of my pregnancy and I did love having my own consultant but ultimately he wasn't at the birth and thankfully I didn't need him but my baby needed a bit of help and I was treated so well.

Now we have moved I don't think we can afford to go private as I know it's nearer €4000 in Dublin. Think we will go to the Coombe please God hoping that this little bean sticks as you can have some appointments in Naas Hospital I think.

I have VHI covering a private room but that's all, has anyone booked semi private with the Naas/Coombe clinics? The €1,000 ish fees would be ok.

I don't know what to do so I would appreciate any advice - I should add I'm delighted/scared/nervous in equal amounts. I just started a new job in January just gone and I am on contract till summer 2019 so afraid they won't renew my contract now that I'm after getting pregnant.

Thank you in advance!

I'm in north Kildare and public in the coombe as I was on the last one too. One of my best friends had done semi private and told me not to bother. I can't justify the cost of private. My care was very good on public last time

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

I'm also going public in the Coombe and can't fault the level of care

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Not the Coombe, but I attend Holles st and a midwife there was saying what a waste of money semi-private is. There’s no guarantee of a private room, and your only advantage is being in a 5-bed ward rather than a 6-bed... I know the Coombe May be a little difficult but I can’t imagine by much.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭br2015

Thanks everyone - semi private is more expensive than I thought at about €1400 max including the scans. I might go public so, I can still request a private bed the lady I phoned today said but obviously no guarantees. I think the Naas clinic might avoid some of the crazy queues I've heard about in the Coombe itself.

Thanks a million- now to tell my husband 😊

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Thanks everyone - semi private is more expensive than I thought at about €1400 max including the scans. I might go public so, I can still request a private bed the lady I phoned today said but obviously no guarantees. I think the Naas clinic might avoid some of the crazy queues I've heard about in the Coombe itself.

Thanks a million- now to tell my husband 😊

Can you tell me how to request a private bed? I’m entitled to one but I’m going public

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

Thanks a million- now to tell my husband ��

No advice regarding the Coombe as not in that area but for me I have private health insurance which includes a private room in public and private hospitals. However, your health insurance will only cover a private room for delivery if you are going private I.e: paying a consultants fees privately so I would check that out if I were you, my understanding is if you choose not to go fully private then you get a private room (if available as always). You will have chosen the public route and will be treated like any other public patient, public room.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

No advice regarding coombe but had a baby privately at end of august in the rotunda. Got my own room straight away. Both rooms either side of me were empty and still not even offered to semi p patients!!

Advertisement