Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching in an Educate Together secondary school

Options
  • 25-04-2018 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi. Can anyone tell me the main differences in teaching in an Educate Together secondary school compared to an ordinary secondary school. Does anyone have any experience of how language classes are taught? I’ve been teaching for a long time in other schools but am considering a change.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

paddy.81 wrote: »
    Hi. Can anyone tell me the main differences in teaching in an Educate Together secondary school compared to an ordinary secondary school. Does anyone have any experience of how language classes are taught? I’ve been teaching for a long time in other schools but am considering a change.
    Thanks.

I have no idea really but there was a documentary about it a few years back 'A different class', I have checked RTE player and YouTube but can't get it but it gave a great insight into educatetogether at second level. A quick email to RTE???

Here is the boards reaction:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057123518&page=2

You would have to get used to be called Paddy by the students I'm sure :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I definitely wouldn't take that school as being indicative of what goes on in other educated together schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Sarah3

I have no idea really but there was a documentary about it a few years back 'A different class', I have checked RTE player and YouTube but can't get it but it gave a great insight into educatetogether at second level. A quick email to RTE???

Here is the boards reaction:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057123518&page=2

You would have to get used to be called Paddy by the students I'm sure :)

That boards thread was to do with a different RTE documentary, not the one on the first Educate Together Secondary school opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭mockingjay

Interesting, I came to post the very same question as there are lots of opportunities available with ETB schools at the moment. I am permanent in my own school but would love to move closer to home, so I'm wondering if it is worth the risk moving to a "Fixed Term" contract. I watched the programme (I think it was that one) and I seem to remember the new teachers were all muddling in to help get the school off the ground, they were extremely busy dealing with administration and teaching, and as new teachers hoping to secure a contract, had to get on with it. However, I also remember that some of them hadn't been paid for almost three months due to technical issues, none of them were complaining - I suppose they couldn't really on television. That must have been tough.

The students were calling teachers by their first names - which I wouldn't have a problem with - but just wondering is the Ethos very different. I know they employ a restorative approach - we try this - I'm on the bench with this one as I have seen Management call in teachers to meet with the students to resolve issues (bad language etc!) - embarrassing for some older teachers going in and sitting down telling a student how they feel, whilst a senior colleague is looking on as mediator!

They also get paid per calendar month if I heard it properly - is that correct? Would love to know what other differences they have, if anyone can offer any insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

mockingjay wrote: »
    Interesting, I came to post the very same question as there are lots of opportunities available with ETB schools at the moment.

Are ETB (formerly VECs) schools not entirely different from Educate Together schools?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭threetrees

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Are ETB (formerly VECs) schools not entirely different from Educate Together schools?

Yes you are right, they are. ETB is Education Training Board and those schools are ex VEC schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Reminds me....Any limerick teachers here, there's an interesting discussion on the Common Application System (enrolment lottery kind of)... it's also discussing the difference between the creation of 2 new schools... ETB versus ET.
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055703689/9/#post106295879

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭mockingjay

Oops sorry - I meant Educate Together - my mistake... Thanks for posting that thread evolving_doors, some interesting reading at the end - food for thought...

Advertisement