Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leave to conduct orals for teachers

Options
  • 25-04-2018 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi,

Can any language teacher here explain to me what the story is with teachers getting time off to go do orals?

My child's Irish teacher has been missing for 2 weeks away doing the orals. There was no sub for my child's class. They were simply allowed to do their own work for 2 weeks. Why would a teacher put themselves forward for this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Sarah3 wrote: »
    Hi,

Can any language teacher here explain to me what the story is with teachers getting time off to go do orals?

My child's Irish teacher has been missing for 2 weeks away doing the orals. There was no sub for my child's class. They were simply allowed to do their own work for 2 weeks. Why would a teacher put themselves forward for this?

Thanks.

A number of reasons:
    a) a better insight into the process
    b) experience at examining the orals so that they can better prepare their students
    c) money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Hi,

Thanks.

Works both ways though. I'm sure you'd be expecting an examiner to come and examine you're daughter for orals or practicals.

Ideally a sub should pick up the slack. Language teachers are scarce ,new Irish teachers are especially rare.

Your minister for education says there is no problems with teacher supply though, he won't listen to teachers, maybe parents can help him see what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

Hi,

Thanks.

And how exactly would you expect your child to be examined for their oral if it weren't for another school releasing teachers.

I do the orals. It's a fantastic experience, I'm gone for one week. I've learnt loads myself. Why shouldn't I put myself forward.

If teachers examined their own students for orals and your daughter received a less than satisfactory mark, I'm sure you'd be the first to complain then too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

I have been an Irish leaving Cert examiner for the past ten years and this year my principal did not allow me to go out examining due to no Irish sub.Many other Irish teachers were not let out either from other schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

Snapgal wrote: »
    I have been an Irish leaving Cert examiner for the past ten years and this year my principal did not allow me to go out examining due to no Irish sub.Many other Irish teachers were not let out either from other schools.

I hope you ensure that he reaps what he sows.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Hi,

Thanks.

Make sure you tell your local TD that you're concerned about the lack of teachers.
    They're a recruitment and retention crisis that the government is ignoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Be glad your child has a teacher for most of the year - many are not so lucky. There's students in my school with no Irish, Maths, Home Ec or Spanish teacher for a whole year. Neighbouring school has just one Irish teacher and two Maths teachers for 400 students. Make this an issue with your local representatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Hi,

Thanks.

As a secondary teacher I thought you would be well aware of the chronic shortage of subs out there at the moment. This will get worse before it gets better. The SEC is really going to struggle over the next couple of years to fill these rolls.
    For the teacher who is lucky enough to be released by their school it is a fantastic learning opportunity, far better than any CPD course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

multiple schools with no Irish teachers or unqualified teachers in the classroom due to the shortage. Career breaks being denied through fear they won't be replaced. Nobody to cover maternity leaves. Though of course the Minister says there is no problem...

The parents need to get up in arms about this and start shouting at their local representatives. The Department are doing nothing right now

Advertisement