Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short term car insurance

Options
  • 25-04-2018 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

Myself and my wife have had a car each for the last few years. Separate insurance policies on each car. Circumstances have changed that don't require us to have the two, so I was planning to get rid of mine.

Here's the thing. My insurance lapses in about 2 weeks, but I will need the car until the middle of June, but after that the car will be redundant. It's not something that occurred to me, but what can I do cover myself for a short period of time on this car?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

From what i know, You can cancel your policy half way through the year and get a refund for whats left.
    There'll be a small admin fee but at least its an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You can renew your policy in two weeks and then cancel it in June. The penalty for doing so in the first year of a policy is pretty severe so do not move to a new insurer when renewing in two weeks time. For a policy that's in it's second or subsequent year, most of them will pay you a pro rata refund less an admin. fee. The cancellation date will be when you send back the cert and disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

Hiring a car for the two weeks might be an option too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Just to update, I go through a broker (whether that differs from someone in a similar scenario) and they've told me there's no issue cancelling my insurance. I'll be refunded the remaining "amount" that remains on the policy.

I was told that my no claims bonus will remain in tact for 2 years, but if I allow this period to lapse without getting a new policy, then I lose no claims and any new insurance quote will be just based on driving experience.

Advertisement