Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC or WIT?

Options
  • 25-04-2018 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I was just wondering which would be better for mental health nursing and would there be any prejudice when applying for jobs after depending on where you’ve gone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Definitely, you should never consider an IT if you can go to a university as far as job prospects are concerned. Plenty of major companies only hire from universities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ci123

GarIT wrote: »
    Definitely, you should never consider an IT if you can go to a university as far as job prospects are concerned. Plenty of major companies only hire from universities.

Yeah that’s what I was thinking alright, the only problem is a did a year of another course so if I change going to university will be really expensive in comparssion to the IT, although it will still cost a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

ci123 wrote: »
    Yeah that’s what I was thinking alright, the only problem is a did a year of another course so if I change going to university will be really expensive in comparssion to the IT, although it will still cost a good bit.

You’re costing yourself a tonne more not going to university. At a minimum you’ll be loosing 1k per year for the first 10 years of your career if you don’t go to university. Typically you could start on a graduate salary of 5k-10k per year less if you go to an IT instead of a uni especially in STEM.

Although if you’ll be working in the public service it won’t make a difference to income only to employability. But abroad it will also make a huge difference, many countries treat you as if you don’t have a degree if you didn’t go to a university

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

GarIT wrote: »
    You’re costing yourself a tonne more not going to university. At a minimum you’ll be loosing 1k per year for the first 10 years of your career if you don’t go to university. Typically you could start on a graduate salary of 5k-10k per year less if you go to an IT instead of a uni especially in STEM.

Although if you’ll be working in the public service it won’t make a difference to income only to employability. But abroad it will also make a huge difference, many countries treat you as if you don’t have a degree if you didn’t go to a university

Do you have any facts to back this up? OP, there is no difference between the training you receive between the two. You should have zero issue in getting a job once you graduate, based on the current climate. At the end of the day, you do placement in both, and its the placement and your putting your knowledge into practice through placement that counts.

Advertisement