Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awesome Dublin Cinemas

Options
  • 24-04-2018 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Calling all movie fans...

Which big cinema in Dublin do you recommend?

I live a bit outside of the city and go to a local one regularly but for the big blockbusters, I'm happy to go find the best of the best in Dublin.

I'm mostly weighing-up Odeon/Cineworld/Savoy.

I usually go to Cineworld and while the screen size, visuals and audio are great, it was way, way too packed and I felt like that was a compromise. Is it really the best cinema-tech in the country? I've found some criticsim of the IMAX being 'fake' but I don't know enough about it.

I was seriously thinking about a favourite growing up - the Savoy, but I've read quite a few mediocre comments online and Screen 1 is being divided up so nope.

Anyone been to the Odeon at the Point? I've only read comments from it's opening and they're great. Is iSense really that good?

What I'm thinking about: screen size and visual quality, as good audio as I can get Dolby-absolutely-amazing, but decent comfort is also nice. I don't mind about ticket price to be honest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,212 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The Stella is lovely but very expensive, only 1 screen, but worth it for luxury of it.

Lighthouse (prob one I go to most often) is a great spot 4 screens, good range of generally more arthouse films and some more mainstream ones, it is reasonable price wise.

Cineworld I avoid unless it's early morning screening. Rundown in general and can be rowdy.

Savoy I haven't been since screen 1 closed.

Ifi the seating in both screens is fecking tiny which is a shame as it has interesting films and a nice crowd.

Odeon in point is generally quiet with big modern screens it's good for a blockbuster. So sounds good bet for what you are after. They also do scream and screen unseen surprise screenings

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Cineworld and the Savoy have gone downhill I never go to Cineworld anymore and it used to be my no.1 cinema. The Savoy has been ruined by taking away there best offer of a huge screen with character. Unfortunately young people do not care about that. Now the cinema's just want to pack as many people in as possible and show more films.
    TOdepon at the Point is lovely. All there screens are nice but the iSense is the best. Its not the best cinema I have ever been to do. That would be Ster Century when they were in Liffey Valley. They knew how to run a cinema and give a good experience. Vue after it was terrible but the new Vue cinema there now is better.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

My 3 would be:

1 - stella rathmines
    2 - omniplex rathmines
    3 - lighthouse

wouldn't go anywhere else TBH, each 3 are very different but one would be suitable im sure

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I'm a short arse, so properly tiered seating is my own personal crucial criteria!

Cineworld:
    I've never had a problem with tiered seating in Cineworld. The screens themselves are pretty good quality, but tickets are pricey. They often have the best show times though, just because they have so many screens.

Lighthouse:
    No major issues with tiered seating in the Lighthouse. Decent screens and a good vibe. This would be my preferred cinema, but it's a little out of the way for me so don't go regularly.

Savoy:
    Tiered seating varies greatly depending on the screen and it has seriously gone downhill in recent years by diving up a lot of the screens. A lot of the seats are at a slight angle to the screen because of it and in some of the newest ones the exit sign is shining very brightly from the top of the aisle! They do good mid-week deals though and it's the most convenient location for me, so I end up there a lot regardless of all those issues :/

IFI:
    The seats are very poorly tiered in IFI (I have to find another short person and sit behind them!). However it's still a nice small cinema with a good vibe, so like going the odd time for a change of venue.

I've only been to the Odeon in Point Village once, but the screen I was in was pretty good! Good tiering and comfortable seats, no major issues.

I've never been to the Stella theatre in Rathmines. I've heard good things, but it sounds a bit gimmicky to me and overpriced for a cinema trip...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Was at cineworld IMAX last night, hasn't been in cineworld for almost a decade before and to be honest it was prettty disappointing for IMAX.

Much prefer the Odeon IMAX in blanch to be honest, better seats, more leg room, better IMAX.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

There's an IMAX in Blanch now?

*googles*
    There's an IMAX in Blanch now!
    Ireland's next IMAX screen is being opened in Blanchardstown
    http://entertainment.ie/cinema/news/Irelands-next-IMAX-screen-is-being-opened-in-Blanchardstown/398799.htm
    The current Screen 9 at ODEON Blanchardstown is set to be reopened as an IMAX screen on December 4th.

Anyone been? Is it any good? Have we got size measurements/comparisons between it and Cineworld?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Slydice wrote: »
    There's an IMAX in Blanch now?

*googles*
    There's an IMAX in Blanch now!
    Ireland's next IMAX screen is being opened in Blanchardstown
    http://entertainment.ie/cinema/news/Irelands-next-IMAX-screen-is-being-opened-in-Blanchardstown/398799.htm

Anyone been? Is it any good? Have we got size measurements/comparisons between it and Cineworld?

Not sure of screen dimensions but it's in screen 9 which was always one of their biggest auditoriums (same size as 1 which is now iSense) but the best thing about it is the seating. Leather reclining chairs with a little table that pulls out and hangs over your lap for your popcorn.

I'd say the screen size is the same as the the same as the iSense in screen 1 if anyone knows what size that screen is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Really great ideas here, thanks all! I think others will benefit too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Movies @ DD is very consistent, never had issues. Friend had an issue with damaged seats there recently though so maybe that changed.

Omni in Rathmines is very good. Never going to bother with Savoy again and Cineworld only if it suits whoever I'm going with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

colm_c wrote: »
    Was at cineworld IMAX last night, hasn't been in cineworld for almost a decade before and to be honest it was prettty disappointing for IMAX.

Much prefer the Odeon IMAX in blanch to be honest, better seats, more leg room, better IMAX.

you do realise that neither are proper IMAX don't you? it's just a bigger screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

you do realise that neither are proper IMAX don't you? it's just a bigger screen.

No, I thought there was a minimum standard they needed to call it IMAX?

Isn't there some IMAX certification?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

colm_c wrote: »
    No, I thought there was a minimum standard they needed to call it IMAX?

Isn't there some IMAX certification?

The ones in Blanch and Cineworld are digital IMAX instead of the 70mm reel variety which you'll find in some cinemas abroad

Advertisement