Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does Beekeeping Take All Your Time?

• 24-04-2018 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭

I had chickens, but got rid of them as we want to be able to head away for a week now and again ..... visit my sons who are living abroad.

And now the wife wants to get into bees.....

I am doing a beekeeping course in Limerick and it seems very complicated and time hungry.

What are folks experience as regards how much time it occupies? Is it possible to head away for a week here and there during the year? Are there any times of the year that I just have to be there? (seems like I have to do weekly checks in Jan / Feb and be there for harvest in July and swarm-management & winter preparations in Aug)

I plan to have 1 hive only....2 max.....(The intention of many, I assume, then it takes over....just like my intention to have 4 or 6 chickens, then we called it a halt at 40)

Your thoughts & experience are most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I started last year and spent about an hour at my hive once a week from April- Sept but missed the odd week as I was heavily pregnant. Assembling the frames took a couple of hours last summer. I visited once in Feb 2018 to see if there was any activity and check the floor board for mites. I spend a lot of time reading about it but that's my own thing. I am just going into my second year so it might be different for others. My course provide a mentor and he would be very against us opening hives up Sept- April/ May. I haven't seen inside my hive since September. My queen was born and mated last May so I didn't get honey last year so I don't know how long harvesting takes. I try to remember that the bees managed for thousands of years before us so they will manage without me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

... I try to remember that the bees managed for thousands of years before us so they will manage without me!

My thoughts too!

Thx L-i-A

You certainly wont have to do weekly checks in Jan or Feb. Beekeeping does take some input, like any other occupation, but the only time critical input is in May and June when you have to carry out regular inspections (weekly, weather permitting) in relation to swarming. For the rest of the year there is no problem from being away for a week or two, but four to six weeks away, apart from winter, would not result in the bees getting the best care.
    However beekeeping is a fascinating hobby and most, if not all, beeks I know enjoy the time spent at it. Indeed, I would go further and suggest that if you resent the time spent, beekeeping is not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

... beeks....

Beeks .... lol

Ta, DrD....thats useful info. There is a lot going on in the course, and its hard to take it all in. I am sure they said we should be doing weekly checks after winter....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Beeks .... lol
    I am sure they said we should be doing weekly checks after winter....

The reason for weekly checks is that a queen cell is sealed at 8 days at which point the bees will swarm. However, they won't swarm until they hive is congested, so that won't be until May or June. You shouldn't open your hive if it's under 14C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Rider, is also suggest that yoir target be 3 or 4 hives (by that, I mean 4).

You need to have a but if a surplus as its not uncommon to lose half your hives over a winter, and also, you need a few extra hives to work on problems, eg testing to see if your queen is gone by moving frame of eggs from one hive to another. Even to save a hive you may need to merge or split depending on what the issue is.

Advertisement