Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence Summons

Options
  • 24-04-2018 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Another TV licence question. Basically, marriage finished 2 years ago. Moved out to my own place, and got caught by Tv inspector before Xmas. Now I don't even have RTE...have one of those old dodgy boxes that has BBC only. I just put it on for some background noise. I know it doesn't matter...the tv is 10 years old and doesn't have saorview. Anyway,I couldn't afford to pay it, and eventually I got the summons and rang them to see how to avoid paying it. Basically told me pay €160 upfront for the licence and also an extra €66 to An Post to have the case struck out of court. I dont mind paying the licence, even though I've no channels...but paying the extra, just for the judge to ski past my name on the list, is a disgrace. Was anyone else ever in the same situation?? Anything that can be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

So, dont pay the €66 and get a €150 fine and name in local paper.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Having channels does not mean you need a lisence.

Its once you have a device that is capable of recieving the signal that you need to pay for it. If you dont want to pay then get that functionalitly removed from your tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Sign up for direct debit €13pw right now. Go to court with the licence and produce it to the judge. The case will most likely be thrown out. Do not pay An Post €66. It’s extortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Two years of TV licence would have cost you €320. The fine and licence now is only gona cost you €226.

Jaysus why do any of us pay.

Advertisement