Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish signage font

Options
  • 24-04-2018 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Does anyone know what font we use on our Irish road signs. I know in the 80s it was the Transport font but that seems to have changed in the 90s/2000s. Any help is appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

according to wikipedia:
    "The Transport Heavy and Motorway typefaces are used, although the Irish language text uses a distinctive oblique variant,"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_signs_in_Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Irish road signs use Transport Heavy Alphabet font (known as TP Font), Motorway Font and Route Font, the Irish version is an italicised version of TP Font known as EI-TP Heavy Font.

You can download the TP and Motorway Fonts here for free. I don't believe the EI-TP and Route Font is available anywhere although using the TP font in italic will produce the EI-TP font to satisfaction.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

“Route Font” is actually just the numbers from Transport Heavy though, isn’t it? I’m struggling to see the difference.

The “EI-TP” font, though it is an italic version of Transport Heavy, has a different uppercase “a”, because that’s what’s used in Irish.

There’s one more font used on Irish roads - the (unnamed in the TSM) font used for speed limit signs since 2005 (up until then, they were in Transport).

TSM here:

http://www.dttas.ie/roads/publications/english/traffic-signs-manual-2010

Advertisement