Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Spanish in secondary school?

Options
  • 24-04-2018 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi everyone! My name is Ana and I'm looking for a little bit of help. I'm finishing my degree on Spanish and I would LOVE to teach in Ireland. The thing is that I'm a little bit confused because I dont really know what is needed. I'm going to start in September a course in Instituto Cervantes for teach Spanish as a foreign language.

Any information or advice is more than welcome.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Do you want to teach post primary ? (12-18 years) then you will need a PME ( see PAC.ie)

If you want to teacher further education ( adults) you can register your degree with the teaching council, no teaching qualification required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Seeing as you don't have Teaching Council registration, perhaps some of the fee-charging schools would like to have a Spanish sub that they'll pay out of their own resources? I would definitely contact some of them as, particularly in Dublin, there is a shortage of substitute teachers.

You'll still need to be vetted by An Garda Síochána even if you're paid privately, however: Garda vetting

• Registered Users Posts: 4 anabel123

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Do you want to teach post primary ? (12-18 years) then you will need a PME ( see PAC.ie)

If you want to teacher further education ( adults) you can register your degree with the teaching council, no teaching qualification required.

Ohhh, I see! I mean teaching post primary was my first idea, but I'm open to everything. I chack the PME and looks really good. We have the same kind of master in Spain but it takes two years to finish it and I heard that takes other two years to get it accepted in Ireland!!!!! The only thing that scares me a little bit is not being able to get everything since English is not my first language.

On the other hand, teaching adults wouldn't be a problem at all! Do you mean like language academies? Or are there special schools for adults? (Sorry, probably all this questions sound a little bit silly, but even after spending three years in Ireland there are so many things that I don't know)

Thanks so much for all this information!!

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Seeing as you don't have Teaching Council registration, perhaps some of the fee-charging schools would like to have a Spanish sub that they'll pay out of their own resources? I would definitely contact some of them as, particularly in Dublin, there is a shortage of substitute teachers.

You'll still need to be vetted by An Garda Síochána even if you're paid privately, however:

Actually I've been recommended to work in private schools because, even if it could be harder to find one, because the requirements are different. The thing is all I know about education abroad is what a friend of mine told me, but she worked in UK, so things are different.

My problem is that I'm not into the Master (in Spain) at all. I think someone can be more prepared getting different courses of teaching Spanish as a foreing language and getting as much experience as possible (I already worked for few month last year teaching Spanish in a private academy in Spain for Americans and I'll start again in September). But, obviously, that is what I think, and I have to follow what is required!!!

Thank you so much for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

anabel123 wrote: »
    Ohhh, I see! I mean teaching post primary was my first idea, but I'm open to everything. I chack the PME and looks really good. We have the same kind of master in Spain but it takes two years to finish it and I heard that takes other two years to get it accepted in Ireland!!!!! The only thing that scares me a little bit is not being able to get everything since English is not my first language.

On the other hand, teaching adults wouldn't be a problem at all! Do you mean like language academies? Or are there special schools for adults? (Sorry, probably all this questions sound a little bit silly, but even after spending three years in Ireland there are so many things that I don't know)

Thanks so much for all this information!!

You won't get teaching secondary(post primary) in Ireland without a PME unfortunately.

Further education would be QQI Level 4/5/6 mostly found in ETB institutes of further education. http://cityofdublin.etb.ie/further-education/evening-courses/
    A few examples of the colleges in Dublin anyway.

Good luck with your decision.

• Advertisement

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    You won't get teaching secondary(post primary) in Ireland without a PME unfortunately.

Further education would be QQI Level 4/5/6 mostly found in ETB institutes of further education.
    A few examples of the colleges in Dublin anyway.

Good luck with your decision.

I really appreciate it! Now is time to think what to do.

Thanks for all your help!

Advertisement