Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

NCT new rules question

• 24-04-2018 1:23pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,854 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel

As some of you have noticed, I put up my '87 Mercedes 190E 2.6 for sale a few days ago.

The car gets very little use and the classic insurance renewal is coming up mid May and I wanted to avoid paying an extra €100 for a car I'm not really using. But my quote just came in and it is very low. So I'm thinking of holding onto the car for a little longer and getting a 2 year NCT. Is that possible / do I understand the new rules correctly?

The car is first registered on 09/10/2017 and the NCT is valid until 08/10/2018. Now can someone confirm that if I NCT it early, say 10/05/2018, it will get an NCT until 08/10/2020?

"Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭ hi5

I can't confirm anything but my understanding is you will only get 2 years NCT after 20/5/18 any time before that will give you 1 year from the voluntary date you put it through.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Dades

May the 20th is the first date the new rules will produce a 2 year cert, so don't go in there before then.

From what I can see if you have a valid cert and NCT your car on, or after that date you'll get NCT'd until 2020.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,854 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel

Cheers lads. If I don't sell the car before then, I'll get a new 27 month NCT on it after May 20th :)

"Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022

Advertisement