Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Med Lab Scientist

Options
  • 24-04-2018 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm thinking of becoming a Medical Scientist and I'm wondering if anyone who currently works as one could answer a few questions about the job (fee free to PM if you wish)

What is the day to day work like? What would you typically do in a day, are you assigned to the same area all the time or do you rotate? Are you encoraged to further your education?

I know it can be a stressful job but in your experience does being shouted at by other colleagues, being blamed for others mistakes , samples constantly going missing/problems not being dealt with, inadequate training, nobody following SOP, being really short staffed, ot being able to confidentiality raise issues, managers fighting and calling each other names on front of staff and ad hoc rosters typical of working in the HSE/hospitals in general the ROI?

I ask the above as I have heard some stores re the above and have done some work experience previously where I encountered some of the same. I think if every hospital lab is like this then I would probably choose another career as dealing with that isn't for me.

Also if any of you have a Specific learning difficulty eg Dyslexia, Dyspraxia etc how have you found your employer in accommodating you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I'm thinking of becoming a Medical Scientist and I'm wondering if anyone who currently works as one could answer a few questions about the job

Hi Architect, I work as a medical scientist. I can try and answer some of your questions, but first, to become a medical scientist in Ireland you must have a qualification recognised by the Academy of Medical Laboratory Science.

https://www.acslm.ie/membership

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

What is the day to day work like? What would you typically do in a day, are you assigned to the same area all the time or do you rotate? Are you encoraged to further your education?
    The work can be repetitive. Our job is different from other medical professionals in that we try to treat every sample (patient) the same.
    What your day is made up of and rotation depends on which discipline you're in and how big the lab is. You could spend a few weeks logging in samples or a few hours of a day.
    Everyone should be encouraged to maintain and further their knowledge. It doesn't have to be formal education. This will be compulsory once we register with CORU.
    I know it can be a stressful job but in your experience does being shouted at by other colleagues, being blamed for others mistakes , samples constantly going missing/problems not being dealt with, inadequate training, nobody following SOP, being really short staffed, ot being able to confidentiality raise issues, managers fighting and calling each other names on front of staff and ad hoc rosters typical of working in the HSE/hospitals in general the ROI?
    Within healthcare we have a relatively stress free job. But stress is a personal response. You'll never be stress free, you can only hope to develop healthy coping mechanisms for that stress. Unhealthy coping mechanisms include shouting at people and "giving up".
    Likewise, managers feel stress and pressure. Unsupported they give up and just do their best to keep things going. People promoted from a job of scientifically analysing samples to managing people, without any training to manage, will feel incredibly stressed!
    I ask the above as I have heard some stores re the above and have done some work experience previously where I encountered some of the same. I think if every hospital lab is like this then I would probably choose another career as dealing with that isn't for me.
    Work experience is great. But try as much as you can to focus on the work and not the personalities. The people may be gone or completely different by the time you get a job there.
    Also if any of you have a Specific learning difficulty eg Dyslexia, Dyspraxia etc how have you found your employer in accommodating you?
    I don't have any learning difficulty but once it doesn't pose a danger to you, your colleagues or patients then you should be supported. It may mean that you have to educate your colleagues about it, especially your supervisors and managers.

Advertisement