Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric (Fahro) Heaters Or Something Else?

Options
  • 23-04-2018 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

I'm currently working on a complete house renovation and I'm pretty clueless about the heating end of things.

The house isn't plumbed or piped for any sort of heating system and has fairly new Fahro electric heaters in every room. It was a rental property and it just seems to me that these are more of a rental heating solution than a long term home heating setup.

Currently I'm looking at keeping these heaters and adding a solar panel system to heat the water.

As I'm effectively gutting the house, digging up all the floors, stripping the walls should I be looking at a new heating system rather than these electric heaters? I'm aware of oil, air to water, thermal etc. etc. but I dont know what I really need to look at or think about.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

How many rooms? How many people will live in this house? Can you get natural gas?

When you say digging up the floors, do you mean going down 12 inches and pouring a new slab? If so, this is a very significant project and you really need professional guidance.

I would say you should be looking at a new or further heating system. You could keep the electric heaters as a backup or for the coldest days.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Aurelian

I've got an architect onboard now I just want to get some general ideas and do some research.

2 people. About 9 rooms. 3 bedrooms.

No natural gas in the town I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You really need the advice of the architect. The first thing is to find out how well it can be insulated. That determines how much heat is required to keep the house warm on a cold day. That really determines everything else.

If you can get the heat requirement down low enough, then a heat pump is the way to go. If not, then you will likely end up with oil heating.

You can obviously put in underfloor heating when you are tearing out the floor. This is well worth considering.

The solar panel for hot water - do it if you like, but it may not really be a worthwhile project when you take into account the lifetime of the system and the maintenance costs. There may be better things to spend the money on.

Advertisement