Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My mother in law never compliments me, is she jealous?

Options
  • 23-04-2018 7:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43

Ok so my mother in law has 2 daughter in laws. We're both in our 20s of near ages.
    I would have quit a good figure and always have had, and I've been told by many people that I would be very good looking. I love my fashion and keeping fit, basically i always look well at partys and family get togethers. Im the one that people usually turn their heads when I walk into a room and ask me where i got my dress and i have often heard people say "shes beautiful" to others. The other daughter in law would struggle with her weight and looks a lot. People wouldnt know she was in the room really. I still get on very well with this girl. Some of my friends and family have often said "people are just drawn to you"
    BUT despite many people telling me that I look nice, my mother in law has not ONCE said after many years of me being in her life that I have a nice top on, or I have a nice bag, or that I have a nice figure.
    I am NOT a needy person and i dont need compliments to get on in life, but I do notice she's the only person that has never commented on how I look when I look nice. Last weekend I walked into a family party and she got a glimpse of me as I walked in the door and completely turned her head in the other direction the SECOND she seen me. whilst my aunt in law who is her sister smiled at me straight away and looked me up and down and kept smiling. What does this come accross as?
    I'm not looking for compliments off the woman but I do notice she never gave me any! The other daughter in law on the other hand could wear a plain white t-shirt from Penneys and she would get a compliment from her "I love your top"!! One time before I even bought the exact same top that the other Daugher in law had. She got a compliment on it and a month later I didn't get a compliment on the exact same top

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

SazSarsh wrote: »

I am NOT a needy person and i dont need compliments to get on in life,

Your post certainly does not come across like that. You seem to put a lot of weight on your appearance but don't expect everyone else to.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Why on earth would she be jealous? Why is it so important that she tells you how good you look?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Perhaps it's that your mother in law recognises that your sister in law has self esteem issues and needs compliments but that you're confident and therefore don't need them?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

Did you post about your mother in law quite recently? I remember a lot of mention of your figure and the other girl's weight in that too, and you were upset that the MIL texted her a lot.

Is this your boyfriend's mother or are you actually married?

I think she's trying to make the other girl feel good about herself. If you're such a head turner, maybe she figures that you don't need any more compliments.

This is a really insignificant thing to be worried about tbh.

Edit; I see from other threads that you are simultaneously doing the LC and getting married at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Maybe she doesn’t think you look nice? Or, maybe looks aren’t that important to her, and the other daughter in law has a gorgeous personality which makes her look better. Nothing worse than someone with a massively high opinion of themselves. It can be off putting, and maybe she doesn’t want to feed that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭ElizaBennett

Some people, I have found , never ever give compliments. It's odd to me as I think it's lovely to give compliments and I often do but there are plenty who just don't. It sounds to me like she's being petty and jealous. It's very irritating but you have to rise above it. My partner's ex wife sounds like your MIL. She saw me at family wedding and said nothing about my outfit etc. I'm annoyed but only a little. I'm thinner and better looking than her so who cares? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,737 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Maybe the mother in law isn’t in to vain people and is more concentrated on how humble and nice a person is, instead of how they look, no matter how many heads they think they turn. Just sayin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

She may not like you all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Some people, I have found , never ever give compliments. It's odd to me as I think it's lovely to give compliments and I often do but there are plenty who just don't. It sounds to me like she's being petty and jealous. It's very irritating but you have to rise above it. My partner's ex wife sounds like your MIL. She saw me at family wedding and said nothing about my outfit etc. I'm annoyed but only a little. I'm thinner and better looking than her so who cares? :)

Is being thinner and better looking the be all and end all?

Sounds like you are the insecure one tbh, expecting compliments and from your partners ex of all people.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Ak84

This sh#¥ for real?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Are you really that shallow?

Maybe your mother in law never mentions your appearance because she doesn't want to feed your already massive ego? Maybe she likes the other girl's personality and thinks she is a more worthwhile person? Hard to know of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

OP I hope that you are very young and this is just a shallowness and superficiality that you will grow out of because it would be very sad if you actually WERE in your 20s and trying to live your life like this.
    It doesn’t matter to anyone what you look like or how fat/thin you are or where you buy your clothes or how long you spend getting ready to go out.
    Your boyfriends mother likes the girl that her other son is going with because she is a nice person. She’s nicer than you.
    That’s it in a nutshell .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

OP, did you get married? Have you had the wedding? You said it was in April. Did you mother in law not even compliment you on your wedding day.?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

SazSarsh wrote: »
    I am NOT a needy person and i dont need compliments to get on in life

Sorry,but based on your other thread about how you are getting married and are devastated that people who are basically strangers don't want to go to the wedding, and your other posts about issues with your mother in law and your boyfriend, I actually think you are a very needy person, and you could do with recognising that in yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 SazSarsh

Instead of getting a decent answer I have gotten a load of answers about how she is humble and I am not, how she is a lovely individual and I am a downright bitch. Instead of actually standing back and thinking maybe she is a lovely person who somehow was lucky enough to be somewhat attractive. Why are people assuming the best looking and thinner girl is the bitch and the fat girl has a as I quote someone said "gorgeous personality". Nobody knows the fat girl. For all yee know she could be a downright bitch so I think I am being unfairly judged. Not every skinny pretty girl has a big ego and is a bitch

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 SazSarsh

Anyways assuming both girls are lovely, why is she giving continuous compliments to the girl who is obese who isn't good-looking

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Closing this thread as I don’t think the OP is actually taking any heed to the answers given.

OP - if you are genuine, I don’t think PI is the forum for you. Please don’t start any new threads here, but instead perhaps talk to a professional.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement