Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accepting Mature Student Offer

Options
  • 23-04-2018 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone is familiar with the process of accepting a mature student offer before hearing back from your other choices. I received my 3rd placed option (TCD) and only have a couple more weeks to confirm with them.

However, I am still waiting to hear from UCD and DIT. If I accept the offer, does the CAO process still continue?

Thanks for any help you may have!

JS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

What courses have you chosen ? Are they in the same discipline? Might help for other posters to give you better opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 JimSmash

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    What courses have you chosen ? Are they in the same discipline? Might help for other posters to give you better opinion.

Sorry, the courses are Biology and biomedical sciences.

My options were 1. UCD 2. DIT 3. TCD 4. DCU 5. Maynooth

I also took the entrance exam in Maynooth and subsequently had an interview. I was told I'd hear confirmation in mid-July.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DeeAvery

What matters is what you have on your CAO form.

As in if you say yes to TCD, your 3rd choice, you're saying yes to TCD, not to the CAO people. So even if you wanted to go to TCD but your above choices put you down as a yes you'd be offered your above choices for you to officially accept through their system.

So it doesn't matter if you say yes to TCD. The other colleges will never find out. I just would say yes to TCD if you don't get your prefered courses. TCD will have a waitlist so you won't be taking spots off people. Even if you get offered TCD and say no to the CAO, they have the offers done in rounds until all spots are filled.

Also, some colleges will give you a CAO offer without contacting you. But most interview you etc. Other's will send you acceptance letters without interview/entrance exams before the CAO dates too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 JimSmash

DeeAvery wrote: »
    What matters is what you have on your CAO form.

As in if you say yes to TCD, your 3rd choice, you're saying yes to TCD, not to the CAO people. So even if you wanted to go to TCD but your above choices put you down as a yes you'd be offered your above choices for you to officially accept through their system.

So it doesn't matter if you say yes to TCD. The other colleges will never find out. I just would say yes to TCD if you don't get your prefered courses. TCD will have a waitlist so you won't be taking spots off people. Even if you get offered TCD and say no to the CAO, they have the offers done in rounds until all spots are filled.

Also, some colleges will give you a CAO offer without contacting you. But most interview you etc. Other's will send you acceptance letters without interview/entrance exams before the CAO dates too.

Thank you so much, that's incredibly helpful!

Advertisement