Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The longest commute

Options
  • 23-04-2018 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of moving outside of the Dublin area soon due to house prices spiraling. Unless I can find somewhere along the train line for my commute to my Dublin city job I'm going to be commuting by bike.

Does anyone here do a long daily commute on a bike , say a 200 kilometer round trip ? I'd rather not use my BMW GSA for the commute due to wear and tear and the cost of upkeep. Any suggestions for a large commuter bike with luggage ?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Honda Deauville

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

KonFusion wrote: »
    Honda Deauville

Homelessness it is then :pac:

Can't stand the Dullville even though I believe its meant to be an awesome bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Vstrom with panniers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Fjr 1300.

Cracker of a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Honda ST1100 Pan European will put up serious miles in comfort.

Although I recently rode a Verseys 1000 which really surprised me. I was able to sit at 200kph down the M7 & M9 in the rain in complete comfort, with my vizor open too.

Or an older GSA is you don't want to be putting up wear and tear on the new bike?.. The GS tank is too small, at a push I'm getting 250km from my tank before I've to fill.

Anyway, ST1100.

• Advertisement

Honda ST1100 Pan European will put up serious miles in comfort.

Although I recently rode a Verseys 1000 which really surprised me. I was able to sit at 200kph down the M7 & M9 in the rain in complete comfort, with my vizor open too.

Or an older GSA is you don't want to be putting up wear and tear on the new bike?.. The GS tank is too small, at a push I'm getting 250km from my tank before I've to fill.

Anyway, ST1100.

Thanks, the Pan is on the radar at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

D3V!L wrote: »
    Thanks, the Pan is on the radar at the moment

Aye, was gonna resist my usual smart-ass 'get a Deauville' comment, but I'd go with the Pan for a longer commute.

Funnily enough I'm possibly moving to Dublin myself in a month or two so I'd be looking at going up.

I know you're up in Dubland, but there's a very nice Pan down in Cork if you're ever in the area.

https://www.leehondacentre.com/product-page/sold-kawasaki-er-5

They've had it up for 4-5 months now, so can probably haggle the price. Oh, and I've no idea why the link says Kawasaki on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

That's a fair commute regardless of mode of transport.

Definitely way up the full cost including the most important ones time and work life commute balance.

You'll be clocking up serious mileage, so servicing every 6-8 weeks will be needed.

colm_c wrote: »
    That's a fair commute regardless of mode of transport.

Definitely way up the full cost including the most important ones time and work life commute balance.

You'll be clocking up serious mileage, so servicing every 6-8 weeks will be needed.

I'm doing the figures at the moment and they're not pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

D3V!L wrote: »
    I'm doing the figures at the moment and they're not pretty.

Can you remote work when the weather gets bad? 100km in dodgy conditions on a bike would be risky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,636 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I drive about 180km round trip daily on the vstrom.

I love the ride , In fact whenever I have to take the car it kills me. Literally hate the car.

Why do I commute that far ? Well it takes me about the same time as it does any of my colleagues to get the Luas end to end. Or drive from the outer suburbs into the city in their cars. But all they see is the distance.

Meanwhile I get to drive home in the evening and look at a sea view from my front room window in a garden that is not overlooked but the grass takes 2 hours to cut :-) .

I've acres of space for the kids and a workshop for the bike

You couldn't drag me back . I can only imagine the price of all that if it was in south Dublin where I grew up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

That kind of commute would make me look at a shaft driven bike. Chains won't like that kind of mileage and could get pricey very quickly.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    That kind of commute would make me look at a shaft driven bike. Chains won't like that kind of mileage and could get pricey very quickly.

Been doing mine for over a year no problems.scott oiler installed.

Seems to be alot of people in fear of driving their bikes the GS for examplewas built to do this not sitting in a garage in cotton wool being pulled out for weekend trips and a once in two year trip the the UK.

It's built to Chomp miles in comfort.

Why else would you buy one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I do 130km per day on my trusty NC750x. My commute is under an hour regardless of traffic. In the car it could be up to 1.5 hrs depending on traffic. Chain wear is great so far. Before I got my first bike the commute in the car became boring very fast. With the bike I look forward to my commute.

listermint wrote: »

I love the ride , In fact whenever I have to take the car it kills me. Literally hate the car.

Why do I commute that far ? Well it takes me about the same time as it does any of my colleagues to get the Luas end to end. Or drive from the outer suburbs into the city in their cars. But all they see is the distance.

Meanwhile I get to drive home in the evening and look at a sea view from my front room window in a garden that is not overlooked but the grass takes 2 hours to cut :-) .

You couldn't drag me back . I can only imagine the price of all that if it was in south Dublin where I grew up.

This is why I cycle and ride a motorbike.

My commute is Portmarnock to the Pheonix Park. On the very rare occasion I take the car I have to be on the M50 before seven or I risk not getting to work for nine.

On either my bicycle or motorbike I can comfortably leave the house at 08:15 and never have to worry about traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

Where are you living now listermint?
    From south Dublin aswell and no chance of ever buying here, looking at deep Wicklow maybe but even that commute puts me off

Goose81 wrote: »
    Where are you living now listermint?
    From south Dublin aswell and no chance of ever buying here, looking at deep Wicklow maybe but even that commute puts me off

Woodenbridge , I made the move just over a year ago. Far more value here tbh commute to work in about 50 mins or under. I'm just happier sound like a spanner but there's alot to be said to hearing birds singing when I pull the bike out of he garage in the morning. No other sounds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

Woodenbridge , I made the move just over a year ago. Far more value here tbh commute to work in about 50 mins or under. I'm just happier sound like a spanner but there's alot to be said to hearing birds singing when I pull the bike out of he garage in the morning. No other sounds

Does your oh work in town? That would be my concern moving that far , I have mates from just outside greystones who just ended up moving into town because they couldn't be arsed getting the dart that far given the times it runs . Money goes alot further there though, I'd say you have a Savage garage ha

Goose81 wrote: »
    Does your oh work in town? That would be my concern moving that far , I have mates from just outside greystones who just ended up moving into town because they couldn't be arsed getting the dart that far given the times it runs . Money goes alot further there though, I'd say you have a Savage garage ha

She works in leopardstown. What's in town? The odd night out. Yeah I'll orientate my whole life around the odd few pints :-) sure if I want to go for a night out I can just stay up in the parents. Greystones is lovely. Not sure there's value left still decent money there. North Wicklow is more expensive than many parts of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

130km commute for me on the cbf1000, made for it. That said, you have a GS, get yer ass on it and ride, if you're worried about wear and tear sell it in a year or two and buy a younger bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

500km daily round trip, Galway to Dublin and back. Used to do it 3 days a week, sometimes 4. All year round.

And yes, it was on a Deauville (new model though, a *little* more fun). Piss and moan all you want, there is no better bike all round for that kind of workload.

C&S for that kind of commute would be madness, shafty all the way. I like the Pan idea, but they're not the most nimble in traffic, silly low mirrors.

Tbh OP, I'd be using the GS.

I'm of the thinking that having a new bike and not using it is like having a beautiful woman and not fcuking her so that she's fresh for the next guy.

Tbh OP, I'd be using the GS.

I'm of the thinking that having a new bike and not using it is like having a beautiful woman and not fcuking her so that she's fresh for the next guy.

Hahahaha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Jaden wrote: »
    500km daily round trip, Galway to Dublin and back. Used to do it 3 days a week, sometimes 4. All year round.

And yes, it was on a Deauville (new model though, a *little* more fun). Piss and moan all you want, there is no better bike all round for that kind of workload.

C&S for that kind of commute would be madness, shafty all the way. I like the Pan idea, but they're not the most nimble in traffic, silly low mirrors.

We need a dullville sub forum, this forum is for motorbikes.

zubair wrote: »
    We need a dullville sub forum, this forum is for motorbikes.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lovely part of the world listermint. And I thought I was nuts moving to north Wicklow.

Commuting is like speed, anyone who does more than you is a lunatic.

Lumen wrote: »
    Lovely part of the world listermint. And I thought I was nuts moving to north Wicklow.

Commuting is like speed, anyone who does more than you is a lunatic.

That is true, im more lunatic than most :D

Advertisement