Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constantly dripping toilet

Options
  • 23-04-2018 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, hopefully I can get some advice here.

The toilet is constantly dripping, even after the tank has refilled and the ballcock has reached the top (or very close to it obviously).

As you all know, what is supposed to happen is that as the ballcock rises, it eventually exerts enough pressure that a valve is close, causing the water to stop. The height at which this should happen can be adjusted by using a screwdriver to adjust (in or out) a piece that makes contact with the main part of the mechanism. At the moment, that piece is already screwed in as far as it will go, but still obviously not putting the other piece under quite enough pressure. I tried to press this other piece in myself using the screwdriver, and there was much more resistance than I expected, so perhaps this is the problem.

The way to adjust it looks like this. I have already screwed it in as far as it will go, and the water mostly stops by the time the level has reached the dotted line imprinted into the tank itself.

But there continues to be a regular drip, or even a small stream, or water coming out, eventually reaching the overflow and then the toilet bowl. As our water tank is pressured and pumped, this makes the pump go off every 15 minutes or so.

If I grab the ballcock and pull it up, the stream will stop completely (I've wedged a piece of wood under it at the moment, so it will not be dripping all day while there is nobody at home), but I cannot achieve this just by adjusting the screw - as i said, it's already all the way in, and the plastic float at the end has been extended until it's all the way out (hope that makes sense to people).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

There might be a bit of grit/dirt inside the valve. Most of them can be dismantled easily, but you may have to turn off the water supply to the cistern first.
    Otherwise probably needs replacement. Usually the rubber diaphragm degrades and just rots.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Thanks, I opened it up this evening, and there is a rubber washer-like thing that had broken a bit. This is the diaghram you are talking about, I assume.

Mainly, the middle of it (which would be where the pressure from the ballcock arm would make contact) had gone off centre, so it wasn't working. I recentered it and put things back together, and it works fine now.

It will still need to be replaced, but I know how to do it now.

Advertisement