Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kitchen island query

Options
  • 23-04-2018 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi. I am getting plans drawn up for a new kitchen and I am interested to see what others have done locally. I am putting an new island in the kitchen and the designer is proposing including a sink in the island. While it looks lovely I am worried that with kids it will always have dishes around it and trying to decide if I should go for island with just prep area and no sink or hob? Any views appreciated? Also do people generally use bar stools at island when kitchen table is nearby?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'm going through the process of designing our kitchen and I've decided to have the hob on the island.
    It's probably the most expensive option as I'll need to service the island with both electricity & gas.
    Not only that, but the extractor hood will be a job of work to get it installed over the island.

I think the benefits of having the hob on the island is greater than having the sink there. All food prep & cooking can happen on the island and anything that needs washing can be tossed out behind me into the sink.
    I'll also be able to look "out" over the rest of the kitchen/dining room while cooking which is ideal when entertaining.

As for stools, we plan on having 3 stools on the opposite side to the hob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

AMM wrote: »
    Hi. I am getting plans drawn up for a new kitchen and I am interested to see what others have done locally. I am putting an new island in the kitchen and the designer is proposing including a sink in the island. While it looks lovely I am worried that with kids it will always have dishes around it and trying to decide if I should go for island with just prep area and no sink or hob? Any views appreciated? Also do people generally use bar stools at island when kitchen table is nearby?

How will the water be removed are you reflooring?
    Teach the childern where the dishwasher is or that they are the designated dishwasher?
    How big is the island?
    If its the only sink I would defiantly say no.

IMO the main advantage of an island is the job as the cook is not facing onto a wall, having a prep area either beside the hob is essential (raw to cooked)
    The sink tap adds a water/hot oil risk, + people dumping stuff in the sink cluttering up the space.
    The sink should be at least pot\pan width from the hob.
    sepration of the hob and sink allow for two teams at family cook time.

Most homes I've been in the bar stools are used at cook time, for conversations with the cooking adults and by those who want first dibs on the food:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It's probably the most expensive option as I'll need to service the island with both electricity & gas.

...and 10mm ducting for the extraction fan. This can be tricky to get in depending on joists.

Un-ducted extract fans (with filters) don’t work regardless of what people tell you.

2011 wrote: »
    ...and 10mm ducting for the extraction fan. Un-ducted extract fans (with filters) don’t work regardless of what people tell you.

Ya, we're going to connect it with a traditional venting duct pipe. Making a "feature" of it as were also vaulting the kitchen ceiling.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Ya, we're going to connect it with a traditional venting duct pipe. Making a "feature" of it as were also vaulting the kitchen ceiling.

Very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 AMM

These are really good suggestions - thank you very much. I tend to agree the hob is better than the sink even though more expensive.

These are really good suggestions - thank you very much. I tend to agree the hob is better than the sink even though more expensive.

If you're going for an induction hob it may be easier as you only need to provide electricity to the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,987 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I made an Island with a hob that is both gas and electric induction with a proper extractor hood that vents to the outside via a flexible duct in the loft. Very happy with it. It is large enough that the other half of it is the dining table which seats 4 on stools.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭ArrBee

I have a large one...
    and I love it. there is no sink or hob on it and I use it for all prep.

Personally I would worry that a fan wouldn't do enough over an island to put a hob there. I prefer to have the option of a window close by.
    For the sink, I would love to have a small one on the island just for washing hands or peeling spuds into. Small enough that no one would use it for dishes.

ArrBee wrote: »
    I have a large one...

Personally I would worry that a fan wouldn't do enough over an island to put a hob there. I prefer to have the option of a window close by.
    For the sink, I would love to have a small one on the island just for washing hands or peeling spuds into. Small enough that no one would use it for dishes.

Initially I was thinking of just prep. Do you mind me asking how big are people's islands generally? I know size of room impacts on this.

• Advertisement

I have a large one...

How will the water be removed are you reflooring?
    Teach the childern where the dishwasher is or that they are the designated dishwasher?
    How big is the island?
    If its the only sink I would defiantly say no.

IMO the main advantage of an island is the job as the cook is not facing onto a wall, having a prep area either beside the hob is essential (raw to cooked)
    The sink tap adds a water/hot oil risk, + people dumping stuff in the sink cluttering up the space.
    The sink should be at least pot\pan width from the hob.
    sepration of the hob and sink allow for two teams at family cook time.

Most homes I've been in the bar stools are used at cook time, for conversations with the cooking adults and by those who want first dibs on the food:D

The island is currently 2metres long and 1.2 metres wide. I agree about it being better to be facing out when cooking rather than facing a wall.

Ours will be 240cm x 90cm

I have a large one...

I have a woodburning stove in the adjoining sitting room. The extractor has 4 speeds. In winter, if I put the extractor on even just 2, flames or smoke get sucked out of the air intake vents into the room. I only need it on 1 99% of the time while cooking and it vents far better than an open window would. The higher speeds I have only used a couple of times to vent smoke in the kitchen when someone has had something stick and burn in the toaster. Island extractor hoods are very effective.

Initially I was thinking of just prep. Do you mind me asking how big are people's islands generally? I know size of room impacts on this.

Mine is square and 1.57 m a side.

Island2.jpg

Thanks. Looks great. I can see you have plenty of room for prep and dining as well with that size island.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭ArrBee

We have a large space so went big because of that.
    Ours is 1200x2600 + a rounded end on top of the 2600 for sitting at once the kids get old enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

I am continental, and I like Scandinavian furniture. While I am doing almost all cooking/baking in my house, I can say that I prefer closed plan kitchens. In my house, I have access to a “standard” 16 m2 kitchen for me to play with.

Just recently I found Ikeas kitchen island meeting my needs: it is a simple work area that reminds me of professional cooking stations, sized 126x79cm; love the design, and it doesn't break the bank.

see link - https://www.pinterest.ie/pin/119626933832236502/

Advertisement