Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet cistern leaking after plumber installed shower

Options
  • 22-04-2018 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭

Hi
    We just got a electric shower installed last week. Today I discovered the cistern is leaking from the two wingnut screws at the bottom.

Would the plumber have needed to access the pipes into the cistern? Is there a connection?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,952 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ArtSmart wrote:
    Would the plumber have needed to access the pipes into the cistern? Is there a connection?

Definitely not.

I can't say that someone didn't tip off them but he would have no idea reason to good near the cistern. It's not remotely connected to the shower. At least it's not supposed to be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

No direct connection, but..!

Flooring disturbed, or probably the piping to the cistern has been disturbed, slightly moving the cistern, loosening the seal.
    Is the cistern securely screwed into the wall...?

Either way, its time for a new seal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

whizbang wrote: »

Flooring disturbed, or probably the piping to the cistern has been disturbed, slightly moving the cistern, loosening the seal.

The cistern seems firmly secured by two screws into the wall, through the cistern's back side. The water is dripping out of the two wingnuts (rusty metal ones) underneath the cistern bowl, and seem to be the culprit, exit water wise.

What 'seal' are you referring to? Could a novice change it?

ETA: Checked seal images on net - so the round black seal at the base of the cistern? But why is the water coming out of the wingnuts?

If its leaking all the time, it needs a new syphon seal, and probably a close coupling seal

If its leaking only after flushing, it needs a close coupling seal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

ArtSmart wrote: »
    The cistern seems firmly secured by two screws into the wall, through the cistern's back side. The water is dripping out of the two wingnuts (rusty metal ones) underneath the cistern bowl, and seem to be the culprit, exit water wise.

What 'seal' are you referring to? Could a novice change it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUl3duqRUkw

• Advertisement

Yeah, took another look - the base of the cistern is NOT sitting flush on the toilet bowl.

If the cistern has the two bolts protrude through the case (visible in the water), then these need changing. Bolts and seals.
    there are rare enough these days.

If a big lunk of a lad was bouncing around, pulling and shoving all over the place, while installing the shower, there would often be enough movement between the floor and the wall to separate the close coupling seals.

My advise is to back off the two screws, securing the cistern to the wall, allowing the cistern to settle closer to the pan.

If the cistern has the two bolts protrude through the case (visible in the water), then these need changing. Bolts and seals.
    there are rare enough these days.

If a big lunk of a lad was bouncing around, pulling and shoving all over the place, while installing the shower, there would often be enough movement between the floor and the wall to separate the close coupling seals.

My advise is to back off the two screws, securing the cistern to the wall, allowing the cistern to settle closer to the pan.
    Aye, there was three of them, all 6'3"

I thought it was the invasion of a new master race of giants.

Grand, I'll look into it tomorrow - literally.

Thanks for all comments

Attached is a photo of the inside thingy, which drips water for ages. I assume that's normal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭dodzy

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Attached is a photo of the inside thingy, which drips water for ages. I assume that's normal

Yes, filler valve. Not your issue in this case. 100%

• Advertisement
Advertisement