Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madras Place, Dublin 7

Options
  • 22-04-2018 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Was passing Doyles Corner earlier today. The pub is undergoing what seems like extensive renovations. Today some workmen were chipping away the concrete around the sign that recently said John Doyle and before that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Under the concrete they revealed a stone carved street marker for Madras Place. I had no idea that was the original name of Doyles Corner. Amazing how quickly these names are lost. Great to see this history revealed and I hope it stays uncovered. The workmen were doing a careful job so I am hopeful it is restoration.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can just about make it out here: http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,715017,735906,11,8

I presume it was the terrace of buildings, not the street name. In the 19th century, many places had terrace names, without street numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,216 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Webster29 wrote: »
    Was passing Doyles Corner earlier today. The pub is undergoing what seems like extensive renovations. Today some workmen were chipping away the concrete around the sign that recently said John Doyle and before that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Under the concrete they revealed a stone carved street marker for Madras Place. I had no idea that was the original name of Doyles Corner. Amazing how quickly these names are lost. Great to see this history revealed and I hope it stays uncovered. The workmen were doing a careful job so I am hopeful it is restoration.
    I think it might be the same people that own oscars are taking it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Webster29

Unfortunately it appears the sign has now been cemented over. A terrible decision especially in an architectural conservation area.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not even flippantly, if I found that sign on the side of a pub I was doing up to be a 'cafe bar' I would be going to a heavily curry based menu immediately. Ridiculous to cover it over - possibly permanently if its cement over limestone,

Advertisement