Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tip with rental car.

Options
  • 22-04-2018 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭

My son had a minor bump in a car park today with a rental car.

To summarize
    *he's a named driver on my car, full licence
    *he was at fault
    *he was turning in the car park, and reversed too far, nudging the other car, back bumper to back bumper, no injuries very minor damage to both cars.
    *Other car was a rental. TBF to the other driver, he was covering his ass, called gardai, and insurance details swapped etc.

The damage to the other car is very very minor, a minor paint scuff above and below the number plate, approx 3 inches long by maybe 3 to 4mm wide.

So my questions:

I assume I'll have to contact my insurance tomorrow to notify them.
    What's the liklihood of getting rode by the rental company (Enterprise)? Have you any experience dealing with them? Is it possible they will deal with me directly, or insist on putting any claim through the insurance. As I said the damage is miniscule, but I know know by talking to yer man, he's probably going to point it out to them.

I know I'm on the hook for whatever it costs, I'm just wondering have any of ye had experience in this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'd be worried that the rental company will use the situation to fix every single scratch on the car from previous rentals. Did your son by any chance take a photo of the damage to the rental car? Be sure to let your insurance see the photo and emphasise to them that you would like the opportunity to pay for the damage so as to preserve your no-claims discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

coylemj wrote: »
    I'd be worried that the rental company will use the situation to fix every single scratch on the car from previous rentals. Did your son by any chance take a photo of the damage to the rental car? Be sure to let your insurance see the photo and emphasise to them that you would like the opportunity to pay for the damage so as to preserve your no-claims discount.
    Thanks for that.
    The car is a 151, so not new. He called me (the accident was local) and I took a few pictures. The damage is minimal, and there is some nicks and scrapes on the other corner of the bumper as well, so I don't know what they'll do.
    Do insurance companies offer the chance to settle yourself like that. I asked the other party that if the rental company make an issue of it, to ask them to contact me directly, but I don't think he knew what I was on about with the language barrier etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Why don't you contact the rental company yourself and offer to pay for damage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

It might only need a respray.
    Becareful though as it wouldn't be uncommon for the rental agency to bill the insurance for a full new bumper and just respray the bumper in their own workshop, then bank the difference!
    Then again, if it was your car, would you rather a respray or to have a whole new bumper?

It would be easier if it was a personal car as I expect the rental car company to just stick to their company procedures, no staff member will risk leniency.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Had an issue a few years ago when renting a car another person hit the car from behind very minor damage. I took all the details from the person+ photos and did say I'd see how the hire company would react. Bumper was pushed in with scratches I was able to push bumper back out but there were scratches. The docket had X's all over the bumper for scratches.brought the car back he looked at the bumper and docket never said anything and nothing happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Dia1988 wrote: »
    Becareful though as it wouldn't be uncommon for the rental agency to bill the insurance for a full new bumper and just respray the bumper in their own workshop, then bank the difference!
    Then again, if it was your car, would you rather a respray or to have a whole new bumper?

It would be easier if it was a personal car as I expect the rental car company to just stick to their company procedures, no staff member will risk leniency.
    Yea, that's what I'm afraid of. There is really no damage, except superficial small scuffing, there is no cracks/distortion to the bodywork/anything. I know I'm kinda at the mercy of the rental company, just don't want to get rode tbh. If the damage wasn't pointed out, you genuinely wouldn't notice it, but look....we'll see what happens. Probably safer to inform my own insurer tomorrow anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Why don't you contact the rental company yourself and offer to pay for damage.

That would be a breach of policy conditions. OP would need her insurer's prior approval for such an approach.

Tactically, I would not do this as it would display undue anxiety and would probably not achieve any savings.

It would be preferable for insurers to handle this when dealing with claims from car-hire outfits. Insurers would know best how to deal with it.

Advertisement