Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on buying small tractor

Options
  • 22-04-2018 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to upgrade from a 1971 MF165 to something more modern but easy on the pocket. I'm confused by the different tractors available in terms of how much HP I need. The tractor is used for very light work ( a bit of topping once or twice a year, bringing home turf in a small trailer, etc) The biggest job I require of it is to deliver a bale of haylage every week or so to a few horses. The lift on my MF165 struggles to lift a heavy bale. The fact it's 47 years old and was never intended for that kind of lifting probably explains it.

Big question is, what HP as a minimum do you think I require? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

Based on what you are saying an 80 hp to 100hp is what you want, and as the majority of tractors sold for the last 20yrs have been 4x4 it is probable you get one of them.
    Ford / NH, Case deutz landini zetor renault class or Jd are good reliable yokes.
    The next factor will be how deep your pockets are.
    For me it would be a Case/Ih or Case; I'd look at, 785,885,895 4230,4240,jxu95 or such.
    Another factor is what main stealer you have close to you or independent garage you have to get bits from...............................................

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Odelay

Gorteen wrote: »
    I'm looking to upgrade from a 1971 MF165 to something more modern but easy on the pocket. I'm confused by the different tractors available in terms of how much HP I need. The tractor is used for very light work ( a bit of topping once or twice a year, bringing home turf in a small trailer, etc) The biggest job I require of it is to deliver a bale of haylage every week or so to a few horses. The lift on my MF165 struggles to lift a heavy bale. The fact it's 47 years old and was never intended for that kind of lifting probably explains it.

Big question is, what HP as a minimum do you think I require? :confused:

Why not just fix the lift? Sounds like it can do all you need.

Advertisement