Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonos play 1 or sonos one

Options
  • 22-04-2018 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

just looking for opinions on which to get? the play one is going for around 169 vs 220 for sonos one...the sonos one had elxia but heard it not great in Ireland so far..if i buy a play one i wont be able t pair ot to older systems also

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I've got 3 of the older play ones. I also have a couple of Alexa dots. You can use the Alexa dots to instruct it to play whatever on your Sonos speakers. The only downside is that Alexa itself won't play directly through your Sonos speakers. So say if you ask it for your flash briefing it will play through the dot. There is no way to stream it direct to your sonos. But any streams (radio stations, google play etc) that are available on your Sonos, you can use Alexa to voice activate the streams on your Sonos. If I were to get another Play1, I'd probably pay the extra and go for the Sonos one, but no big loss either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

TinCool wrote: »
    I've got 3 of the older play ones. I also have a couple of Alexa dots. You can use the Alexa dots to instruct it to play whatever on your Sonos speakers. The only downside is that Alexa itself won't play directly through your Sonos speakers. So say if you ask it for your flash briefing it will play through the dot. There is no way to stream it direct to your sonos. But any streams (radio stations, google play etc) that are available on your Sonos, you can use Alexa to voice activate the streams on your Sonos. If I were to get another Play1, I'd probably pay the extra and go for the Sonos one, but no big loss either way.

The thing that concerns me is that you cant link the new sonos one in with the older play one...so if i bought a sonos play one and then later decided to add to it with a sonos one..they wont work together...yet im not entirely convinced to pay such a big increase for the play one over the sonos one...as i dont think the sound quality is any better..just the fact that it has alexa...and then i read that alexa doesnt work in Irish region...hence why i can only see the sonos one for sale on the sonos website! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Am i right in that the sound quality is same in both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

I'm trying to decide myself. Some reviews claim the sonos one has slightly better audio. Sonos themselves say they've almost entirely different internals.

Pugzilla wrote: »
    I'm trying to decide myself. Some reviews claim the sonos one has slightly better audio. Sonos themselves say they've almost entirely different internals.

probably best to go with the newer one so....might wait and see if any may bank hold deals pop up next week...unlikely though!:D

• Advertisement

I've decided that the Sonos One isn't for me. Lots of complaints of poor voice recognition and missing Alexa features.

whats worrying me is the fact no shop seesm to be selling it here other than sonos own site! what u considering now so?

Possibly Echo Dot or Google Home mini and connect it to an external speaker. Not sure yet. Sonos seem to be very slow at getting Alexa features. Still can't change the wake word for example. Judging by that, google assistant will likely be limited on the Sonos One as well. Sonos One is relatively expensive and it not being able to hear your voice commands would be disappointing. If they could resolve these problems, then I might change my mind.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Sonos is a smart music system primarily, the alexa integration is very much an add on. From what I have seen most people will use a dot for the Alexa bit. Also if your not getting multiple Sonos speakers its probably not worth getting just one.

Rew wrote: »
    Sonos is a smart music system primarily, the alexa integration is very much an add on. From what I have seen most people will use a dot for the Alexa bit. Also if your not getting multiple Sonos speakers its probably not worth getting just one.
    Pugzilla wrote: »
    Possibly Echo Dot or Google Home mini and connect it to an external speaker. Not sure yet. Sonos seem to be very slow at getting Alexa features. Still can't change the wake word for example. Judging by that, google assistant will likely be limited on the Sonos One as well. Sonos One is relatively expensive and it not being able to hear your voice commands would be disappointing. If they could resolve these problems, then I might change my mind.

might be just as good getting two sonos play ones then, or perhaps a play three or play 5?

• Advertisement

LillySV wrote: »
    might be just as good getting two sonos play ones then, or perhaps a play three or play 5?

Hi lads, update is I got a play 3 after..: can only play through sonos app, all the free apps won’t work properly through sonos app unless I pay for premium account... I’m sorry I didn’t buy a Marshall or some other speaker that airplay’s...:

Advertisement