Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pressure treated wood preservation ? (shed floor)

Options
  • 21-04-2018 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to get a wood frame steel shed soon, the floor is going to be pressure treated runners and tongue&groove boards.

Before I put the floor down (on blocks) I would like to give it an extra coating on the underside of something that will significantly prolong its life ...what to use?

Creosote? varnish? normal fence/shed paint? leave well enough alone?

also...put down a damp barrier on the ground, yay or nay?

Thanks for sharing the wisdom of the collective

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

First you need to make sure your timber runners are as dry as possible, the drier they are the more preservative will soak in.

I always use Protim 265 as a preservative (use the green so you can see what you have treated the colour fades very very quickly) and I often use blocks as a foundation then run a layer of DPC before laying down the timber. The DPC is there to stop moisture coming up through the blocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

@my3cents, do you have a place that supplies Protim 265 either online or in house? I'm in the SE and struggling to find some at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Roen wrote: »
    @my3cents, do you have a place that supplies Protim 265 either online or in house? I'm in the SE and struggling to find some at all.

Any builders merchants should have it. Some seem to be stocking water based products that aren't as good imo so maybe not every builders merchants has that particular product.

I can find it online but don't want to quote a link as the prices are mad. I pay iirc €22.50 for 5l and online its over €30 :eek:

It might also have been dropped in favour of the less effective water based products as a few sellers online don't seem to have it anymore?

Protim Green Wood Preservative seems to be a similar product/replacement. Just check that its NOT water based before you buy it. The whole point of the nasty polluting solvents is that they penetrate the wood much better than water so give deeper protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Cheers, it's appreciated. The guys near here have all done exactly that, dropped the good stuff in favour of less effective alternatives.
    Would agri suppliers be likely to stock it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Just as an update, I (the OP) went with three coats of creocote instead.

So far I'm happy with it and I reckon it's better than nothing. couldn't find any Protim within my timeframe.

Plus creocote just has that nasty smell..you just know it has to work:D
    (even the woodlice under the shed have moved out because of the stink)

• Advertisement
Advertisement