Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soldering t&e

Options
  • 20-04-2018 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi all,
    What are your opinions on soldering together L-L N-N PE-PE of a 10sq, 6sq and 2x 2.5sq t&e. Basically 10sq feeding from db 6sq to hob and 2x 2.5sq to 2 ovens. It's on a 40a mcb and the ovens supplies will have 13a sw. fused spurs protecting the ovens. Kitchen supply was pulled before any design of the kitchen cabinets and as is often the case an addition has occurred (extra oven). Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

My opinion is it's dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Vote4Napoleon

Thanks for your reply. What way would you go about it? 63a connectors in a jb?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

It's dangerous because you will have 2.5sq cable "protected" by a 40MCB.

Even the 6sq isn't adequately protected by a 40MCB.

No competent electrician would do what you are suggesting. You should not "join" various cables, the method of joining is irrelevant.

Just remember the cost of doing this job right is far less than the cost of when if goes wrong as you might find your insurance invalid, of course your losses potentially may be much worse than just financial.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Vote4Napoleon

Thanks again for your response. I was thinking of fused spurs before the ovens respectively so that the 2.5's don't draw a dangerous load.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

To be honest I don’t follow what you are saying. Please explain again.

I will say this:
    There are lots of acceptable ways of joining cables such as this. Soldering isn’t one of them. The trick is to ensure that every section of cable is protected by a suitably rated protective device. This may be achieved with an MCB or a fuse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement