Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cured

Options
  • 20-04-2018 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has seen this film yet? Any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Was at the Q&A screening earlier (Freyne and Sam Keeley attended).

Tbh, I didn't like it all that much......... just felt a bit dull overall.

Ellen, Sam, Tom were excellent though. Can't fault their performances and it's worth seeing just for them alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Just back from seeing it - I really enjoyed it, well shot, brilliant concept building on the zombie universe, and lovely parallels with politics/history..

Bonus atmosphere coming out of the lighthouse through empty backstreets on the way to my bus as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Really liked the concept and ideas playing out. While you have to commend the attempted scope/scale of it, unfortunately, you could feel (see) the film creaking under the weight of its limited budget.

May have suited a more contained piece, though given the expansive plot, you would have been ripping the script up and starting from scratch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,967 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I didn't even realise this was an Irish production; I had seen a trailer a long time back, but with the presence of Ellen Page, and having seen the trailer via an American sci-fi blog, had just assumed it another random stateside indie flick destined for digital distribution.

Heartening to see Irish filmmakers trying to break the mould and trying their hand at different genres. Did this get any support from the Irish Film Board? 'Cos I'm sure I'd have twigged the film's origin sooner, but don't recall seeing any stamp in the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

pixelburp wrote: »
    I didn't even realise this was an Irish production; I had seen a trailer a long time back, but with the presence of Ellen Page, and having seen the trailer via an American sci-fi blog, had just assumed it another random stateside indie flick destined for digital distribution.

Heartening to see Irish filmmakers trying to break the mould and trying their hand at different genres. Did this get any support from the Irish Film Board? 'Cos I'm sure I'd have twigged the film's origin sooner, but don't recall seeing any stamp in the trailer.

Definitely got film board funding. Logo is at the beginning, but whether that's development funding or "now that you've made the film here's a few quid to finish the colour grade" funding, I can't be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

bugger, looks like this is gone from the cinema's now.

didn't get a chance to go see it last week and it's not listed as showing in any of my local cinema's now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Saw this last night. TBH, I was dragged to it and wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. Hardly film of the year but a solid enough effort (although the ending was a bit confusing).

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

On heard about this lately and it's not showing here anymore.
    The precursor to this film is up on youtube and it's good. It's called "the first wave" - 5 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Saw it, thought it was a bit meh.

Reminded me of this in terms of plot : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Flesh_(TV_series)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Watched this tonight, not quite sure what to make of the ending as there were quite a few things left unanswered. Until the end, I was really enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's going to be on Netflix at the end of the month, goes up on 25 jan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭corkie

Critically-Acclaimed <<<< For what? Been trash drama instead of a horror?
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    It's going to be on Netflix at the end of the month, goes up on 25 jan

Viewing Sorted: Critically-Acclaimed Movie Based In Dublin Will Be On Netflix In January

Zombie film, The Cured, which is set in Dublin will be released on Netflix on January 25.

Watching it at the moment, didn't really grab my attention, multi tasking. More of a drama, than a horror. Most of the gore happens off screen.

Click-bait link to get people to tune-in?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

corkie wrote: »
    Critically-Acclaimed <<<< For what? Been trash drama instead of a horror?

Viewing Sorted: Critically-Acclaimed Movie Based In Dublin Will Be On Netflix In January

Zombie film, The Cured, which is set in Dublin will be released on Netflix on January 25.

Watching it at the moment, didn't really grab my attention, multi tasking. More of a drama, than a horror. Must of the gore happens off screen.

Click-bait link to get people to tune-in?
    Wow that definitely feels like a paid advertisement......

My favourite bit
    "The film has an 83% rating on Google"
    What the heck kind of rating system is that?!? Its not IMDB, metacritic or rotten tomatoes, where did they find that one?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,967 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I always presumed LovinDublin & its ilk (joeIE etc etc) made its money via clickbait, paid-for articles so ... *shrug*

But if it is a clickbait article, then why include the link? Sure that's just going to drive more traffic to the site ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Watched this and enjoyed it. I loved the idea of a zombie hive mind but overall the film could have been better. It was definitely a small budget but the storyline was good.
    Saw this last night. TBH, I was dragged to it and wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. Hardly film of the year but a solid enough effort (although the ending was a bit confusing).

It kind of left it open for a sequel?although it probably would not be made. Conscious immune/cured zombies leading rage-filled out of control zombies at war with the uninfected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Watched this last night and my overall reaction was just that it's fine, not particularly good but not a waste of time either and worth watching. The main cast is mostly pretty solid, but as with a lot of Irish films that tackle these sort of subjects, the budget just isn't there to be at all convincing in it's portrayal of the world.

Outside decent turns by the main cast, while the general narrative is mostly fine and the cinematography is good, the actual dialogue and exposition leave a lot to be desired and is pretty sloppy at times.

Another issue would be that it also seems to be a little too heavily inspired by the vastly superior 'In The Flesh' TV show, not sure when The Cure was first penned or conceived but it seems like a far more one-dimensional rip-off of a much better production, with an Irish lilt to it.

On the whole though, as an actual film in itself, it's entirely competent with some good performances, I'd probably give it a 5.5/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Got to the 20 minute mark, steaming pile of cack. Looks like it was made for 2 bob.

Advertisement