Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lower River Shannon Forum

Options
  • 20-04-2018 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

'World Fish Migration Day 2018 will take place on the 21st April 2018. Join us in Ormston House, Limerick, from 11 am for a discussion on 'Restoring the River Shannon'. This is a free event - please come along if you are in the Limerick area and interested in 'Restoring the River Shannon'. I attended a previous session and it was fascinating. Let's use but protect the greatest river on these islnds.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Great event yesterday but pretty damning at the same time. I can't help but think of the significant emphasis on golf in the recently released draft tourism strategy for Limerick and how we are seriously missing a trick with angling tourism in the River Shannon. But I guess it would be hard to attract anglers when there are no fish left in the river :(

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

panda100 wrote: »
    Great event yesterday but pretty damning at the same time. I can't help but think of the significant emphasis on golf in the recently released draft tourism strategy for Limerick and how we are seriously missing a trick with angling tourism in the River Shannon. But I guess it would be hard to attract anglers when there are no fish left in the river :(

The fact the vast majority of the rivers in the midwest region (including the Shannon) are closed to salmon fishing kinda knocks that on the head. As you said you can't market angling when there is nothing left to catch. It will take years of careful management before you could even consider it as a real tourism offering. Sure you can offer rivers with stocked brown trout but that isn't really going to appeal to international anglers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Treepole wrote: »
    The fact the vast majority of the rivers in the midwest region (including the Shannon) are closed to salmon fishing kinda knocks that on the head. As you said you can't market angling when there is nothing left to catch. It will take years of careful management before you could even consider it as a real tourism offering. Sure you can offer rivers with stocked brown trout but that isn't really going to appeal to international anglers.

Absolutely and I don't think a blanket ban on salmon fishing is the' careful management' or approach that is required here.

I see Irish Water are pursuing their plans to extract hundreds of millions of litres of Shannon water at Parteen to supply Dublin :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Irish Water are pursuing their plans to extract hundreds of millions of litres of Shannon water at Parteen to supply Dublin :eek:
    They might as well, it isn't as if we are using it for anything, it just meanders through Limerick on its way to Ballybunion. :)

Advertisement