Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did Aertel Interactive work?

Options
  • 20-04-2018 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

Anyone remember Aertel Interactive?

A reminder...
    http://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/0717/890917-aertel-interactive/

You used to be able to visit the Aertel Interactive page on your TV then ring a number on your phone and you could then navigate that part of Aertel (or play games) using the keypad on your phone.

I might be missing something, but I can't see what the link was between the phone and the TV...? :confused:

Or was it one user in the country at a time?!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

My extremely vague recollection is that you were given a page number when you phoned up and then you could navigate using the touch tones from your telephone. Not sure how many users it could handle but I don’t recall it being very popular in the first instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

If Aertel page numbers were limited to 3 digits there can't have been much of a range of available numbers? Was there a queue system on the phone line before being allocated a page?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Dave_Dublin

J o e wrote: »
    If Aertel page numbers were limited to 3 digits there can't have been much of a range of available numbers? Was there a queue system on the phone line before being allocated a page?

No - I used it a lot for games and train timetables :

You dial the 1-800 number, hear an automated voice "turn to page 717" or whatever page it allocated, you chose that page on your TV and then could select different options from the menu on the TV screen using the telephone keypad.

I think it was the 700s that it used but I could be remembering incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

No - I used it a lot for games and train timetables :

You dial the 1-800 number, hear an automated voice "turn to page 717" or whatever page it allocated, you chose that page on your TV and then could select different options from the menu on the TV screen using the telephone keypad.

I think it was the 700s that it used but I could be remembering incorrectly.

This is online in the RTÉ archives. Seems it was page 777

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/0717/890917-aertel-interactive/

(edit) oops I didn’t realize that link was the same as JOE posted. Sorry long day

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Dave_Dublin

medoc wrote: »
    This is online in the RTÉ archives. Seems it was page 777

That's right - 777 - then the voice on the phone told you what page to go to for YOUR menu.
    It was actually quite quick, slight delay on some pages loading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

777!!! Remember it! I used it to play some game.

But you could type in other numbers and watch what others were requesting (at least that was what I understood was going on).

Advertisement