Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nato Straps

Options
  • 20-04-2018 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

first post on this board. been collecting for years but didn't know you guys/gals existed. I've mainly bought Nato straps online but had trouble finding them in Dublin - found 2 places this week however and thought I'd share

- Fast Fix in Stephen's Green has a small selection and presumably the other branches (Tallaght, Dundrum etc.). Price was €16

Secondly there is a charming Asian girl in the Georges Arcade on the narrow side (to the left if you enter from Georges St) who has a decent selection for just €10. She said they also repair quartz and replace batteries for just €5.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ljr

OmegaGene wrote: »
    They can be bought on adverts from €6 upward
    Caseback tools are cheap as chips on eBay change your own batteries if you have a few watches

well aren't you helpful. so I shouldn't have bothered posting at all. please accept my apologies. I humbly beg your forgiveness for suggesting the idea of supporting local bricks and mortar businesses. I mean why would you want to actually see something in person when you can buy it from a picture. and why would you want a choice of straps in 16 and 18mm when there is someone online with a choice of four that only come in 20mm. I should definitely buy a strap too big for my watch and perhaps cut it into shape. and you are correct I should definitely risk scratching the backs of my quartz watches by taking the back off myself. I'm going off now to slit my wrists as humanity clearly has no use for me. adieu.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

hqdefault.jpg

Jeez Louise folks. :eek:

I for one welcome Ljr's recommendations and I can see OmegaGene's point too. For the average person who isn't a bleedin' nutter watch aficionado with more watches than wrists or days of the week(or month :o)* and the insider knowledge and gonadal fortitude/craziness to have a go themselves with case backs and batteries, I would like LJ advise going somewhere local who can do the job for them. Sure you may pay extra for it, but a slip of a screwdriver or cross threading a caseback can get real expensive, real quick too. Don't ask me how I know that...

Ditto for NATO straps. They can be very variable** and I found anyway that price doesn't always translate into quality. I've bought eBay specials that were a fiver that were better than some "big names" that cost 30 quid. Again for your average person who likes their watches, but hasn't gone full watch nerd and doesn't want the hassle of going through the interwebs and playing Russian roulette with quality again going local and hands on is a very good bet. And of course it's great for local biz and the folks who work there.

*if a Hindu god or goddess is reading, apologies.
    12745952_2000236663533863_8851091436345016661_n.jpg

**even the sole official military supplier of actual NATO, rather G10 straps to be precise/anal, Phoenix, are variable over the years.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement