Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Career advice for a lad in his early 30's.

Options
  • 20-04-2018 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Lads and ladies, Recent unemployment and an abundance of free time has got me doing some soul searching...I figured it's time for me to get my finger out and make a real effort to apply myself make a go at having a stable career/ do some adulting.

(Brief condensed background): Due to a variety of issues that I wont get in to I left school during my 5th year and never sat the leaving cert. I returned to study as a mature student and achieved an Honours Degree in music which unfortunately is not the most lucrative qualification to have in the current job market. I have worked part time as a childcare assistant for the past 2 years and have since undertook a QQI level 5 in early childcare I have been hoping to get into SNA work but unfortunately the work seems to be scarce at present. I currently support myself with welfare,and do some private music tuition. Skill-wise, I have some experience in conducting group music workshops over the years but primarily my experience is 1 to 1 music lessons. Basically, I'm struggling to decide what direction I should go next....A few things I am pondering:

Would returning to 3rd level education be worth looking in to? Are there any degrees I could do that my music degree qualification could be useful in combination? Or would a Postgrad/Masters degree be worth pursuing?

I am an open book in terms of what line of work I want to pursue.I'm really struggling in choosing a career path I want to devote myself to. However, I feel my ideal job would be working with people in a social setting (mentoring/care).Also working with animals in some capacity would be a dream. Unfortunately, I think my options are limited as I have not sat my leaving cert and grants seem to be only offered to students who have not already obtained a degree.

Any suggestions/tips/lambasting comments are much appreciated.

TL:DR Looking for suggestions on what to do with the rest of my life....

Comments

Advertisement