Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV unit/stand

Options
  • 20-04-2018 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, just looking for a little help. I'm trying to kit out a new sitting room. Biggest problem is where to put the TV and how.

There's no chimney in the house so it's flat walls. Don't want the TV in a corner. Not mad on putting it up on a wall as I don't want the wires/tv box hanging off it. It's a small enough sitting area 9x15 feet.

Was thinking of a TV unit/cabinet, it would need to be around 200+ centimetres x 50 as to not look silly in the room. These appear to be hard to find. Not mad on the stuff inside in IKEA either.

Anyone done anything similar or have any ideas?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Comments

You could do a floating wall?

Manhattan_Comfort_Lincoln_Floating_Wall_Tv_Panel_1.9_With_Led_Lights-1.jpg?v=1513081673&auto=compress,format&w=1200&

Or get a plasterer to make a wall around the TV with shelves etc. built into the wall itself:

innovative-shelving-2.jpg

They can put the wiring behind the plasterboard to hide (can have a little handle-less door built in somewhere to access plugs/cables and such.

Ikea do this Lappland unit, which I think is nice (and bought myself, in white)

lappland-tv-storage-unit-black-brown__0246278_pe385388_s4.jpg

It has a handy little cable hide/hole at the rear to keep it tidy looking.

You could get a cabinet maker/Kitchen company in to do something like this:

home-design.jpg

Just a few ideas for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Cheers for that.

That lappland unit, did you build that into the wall or tie it to the wall as it looks like something that might fall over?

Unfortunately I don't have any say into the building so anything I can do will be after market.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

As far as I know, Ikea have a history of killing babies because their units fall over onto them.

So you get a set of fixings in the box to anchor it to the wall. I personally haven't done it. It's a deep unit, you'd be very unlucky to accidentally knock it over.

They have a range called Kallax which is pigeon-hole storage that is identical to the Lappland, so you can add on to it, should you wish. They also sell drawer inserts or door covers for them (to try and get rid of the messy/clutter look.

My kitchen isn't finished, so my one is just thrown into the corner for the moment, but there is potential to do something nice with it, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,587 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

https://www.bmradiatorcabinets.com/tv-units.html

I can recommend these for custom made TV units.
    Reasonably priced and professional service, you'll get exactly what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

https://www.bmradiatorcabinets.com/tv-units.html

I can recommend these for custom made TV units.
    Reasonably priced and professional service, you'll get exactly what you want.

Cheers, I'll check them out.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
Advertisement