Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Best' Irish PAYG SIM option for when living abroad

Options
  • 20-04-2018 6:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I live abroad and need an Irish number to log in to certain services. So I don't really use credit as such, especially since I can roam with my main subscription phone from where I live. Eir cancelled my number as their rule is that you must top up within 5 months or they'll deactivate the number. Fairly rubbish but rules are rules I guess.
    Does anyone have any experience or a recommendation on which Irish network operator might be best to buy a PAYG SIM from? I live in Scandinavia where 3 have networks, so maybe there's an advantage to that. Do any of the Irish operators *not* have a mandatory top up frequency? Someone from my family will go in and buy the SIM and post it to me, so is there any of them that requires triplicate contracts in blood to get a lousy PAYG SIM?
    Thanks in advance for all ideas and recommendations!

/ Dus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

aka Dus wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I live abroad and need an Irish number to log in to certain services. So I don't really use credit as such, especially since I can roam with my main subscription phone from where I live. Eir cancelled my number as their rule is that you must top up within 5 months or they'll deactivate the number. Fairly rubbish but rules are rules I guess.
    Does anyone have any experience or a recommendation on which Irish network operator might be best to buy a PAYG SIM from? I live in Scandinavia where 3 have networks, so maybe there's an advantage to that. Do any of the Irish operators *not* have a mandatory top up frequency? Someone from my family will go in and buy the SIM and post it to me, so is there any of them that requires triplicate contracts in blood to get a lousy PAYG SIM?
    Thanks in advance for all ideas and recommendations!

/ Dus

I think they all have mandatory top periods. Vodafone seem to be the longest @ 6mths

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057859494

• Registered Users Posts: 81,853 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Also with Vodafone I think you can topup by €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Tesco and three SIMs don't expire.

Vodafone are the most reliable especially if you need it for online banking verification. Five euro every six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭aka Dus

Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭aka Dus

Ten Pin wrote: »

Vodafone are the most reliable especially if you need it for online banking verification. Five euro every six months.

Ten Pin, the Vodafone reception where I come from is uafasach, so would render my number almost useless on visits home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Ten Pin wrote: »

Tesco sims do expire, they are recycled after one year of inactivity.

Advertisement