Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using relay or another method to share lights between 2 PIR's

Options
  • 19-04-2018 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, hoping someone might be able to help me.

I have some downlights installed in the soffit of a bungalow running off 2 PIR's mounted on opposite sides of a porch. I've attached a diagram of a simplified layout of what I have. Hopefully it makes it a bit easier to understand what the hell I'm saying!

front_light_diagram.png

The layout at the moment is perfect when you are walking from the left side of the house to the right but walking from right to left means the 2 lights on the front face of the porch (Marked as "A4" and "A5" on the diagram) don't switch on until you trigger PIR "A" which leaves you walking in the pitch black and liable to break your neck falling over something.

Is there anyway to connect those 2 lights to PIR "B" so that if either of the PIR's are triggered those lights will switch on but without switching on all the rest of the lights? I'm not sure if a relay or something like it would do the trick.

I know I could just get a 3rd PIR and mount it on the front of the porch but there is a window there that comes within an inch of the soffit so I'd have to mount it off to one side and it would look kind of odd!

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Hey guys, hoping someone might be able to help me.

I have some downlights installed in the soffit of a bungalow running off 2 PIR's mounted on opposite sides of a porch. I've attached a diagram of a simplified layout of what I have. Hopefully it makes it a bit easier to understand what the hell I'm saying!

front_light_diagram.png

The layout at the moment is perfect when you are walking from the left side of the house to the right but walking from right to left means the 2 lights on the front face of the porch (Marked as "A4" and "A5" on the diagram) don't switch on until you trigger PIR "A" which leaves you walking in the pitch black and liable to break your neck falling over something.

Is there anyway to connect those 2 lights to PIR "B" so that if either of the PIR's are triggered those lights will switch on but without switching on all the rest of the lights? I'm not sure if a relay or something like it would do the trick.

I know I could just get a 3rd PIR and mount it on the front of the porch but there is a window there that comes within an inch of the soffit so I'd have to mount it off to one side and it would look kind of odd!

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Seperate lights A4 and A5 from PIR A

Add 1 relay to PIR A and another to PIR B.

Wire lights A4 and A5 from a N/O contact from each relay. You can simply link the 2 N/O contacts of both relays in parallel, as well as both commons. Live to commons, switch wire from N/O contacts to A4 and A5.

Now trigger PIR A and A1 2 3 4 and 5 come on too.
    Trigger PIR B and B 2 3 and 4, and A4 and A5 come on too.

It could also be done with 1 relay, by breaking A4 and A5 from PIR via a NC contact on the relay.

And that relay is powered by PIR B.

And connect A4 and A5 to PIR B via a NO contact on the relay.

A trigger of PIR B when A has its lights on will cause a brief off and back on of the porch lights though, so the 2 relay method is probably better.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

^^^^ +1

Another option would be to wire all of the lights on one circuit. If they are LED (most likely they are) they could all be switched through a single Stinel receiver. The receiver can then be activated from two or more wireless PIRs.
    Simple flexible solution.

PIR link:
    http://www.steinel-professional.de/en/sensors/motion-detectors/is-fs-300-wireless-sensor-technology-white.html

Receiver link: Can't seem to find it, but google is your friend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Bruthal wrote: »
    Seperate lights A4 and A5 from PIR A

Add 1 relay to PIR A and another to PIR B.

Wire lights A4 and A5 from a N/O contact from each relay. You can simply link the 2 N/O contacts of both relays in parallel, as well as both commons. Live to commons, switch wire from N/O contacts to A4 and A5.

Now trigger PIR A and A1 2 3 4 and 5 come on too.
    Trigger PIR B and B 2 3 and 4, and A4 and A5 come on too.

I had never thought of using 2 relays...

So would they be SPDT type relays? Something like this?

Sorry, I know very little about relays TBH!

Thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

2011 wrote: »
    ^^^^ +1

Another option would be to wire all of the lights on one circuit. If they are LED (most likely they are) they could all be switched through a single Stinel receiver. The receiver can then be activated from two or more wireless PIRs.
    Simple flexible solution.

PIR link:
    http://www.steinel-professional.de/en/sensors/motion-detectors/is-fs-300-wireless-sensor-technology-white.html

Receiver link: Can't seem to find it, but google is your friend :)

Cheers for the suggestion but this is on my parents house and even though I've explained to them that all 14 lights combined use less power than 2 of the old halogen ones they don't seem to get it! They seem allergic to the idea of the lights being on at the far side of the house if they aren't specifically in that area. This is me trying to give myself an easy life!

• Advertisement

I had never thought of using 2 relays...

So would they be SPDT type relays? Something like this?

Yes they will do fine.

Advertisement