Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNA Change of Hours

Options
  • 19-04-2018 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

As an SNA who works Junior/Senior Infants hours - I have been asked to do a full day next year (1st - 6th Class hours). Do I have to agree to this or can I remain at my present hours? My contract was for part time hours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Surely it's only an hour of a difference ? There may not the the need/allocation for you to main with the infant classes. I thought you'd have to slot in where ever the need was. If the hours don't suit would you / could you look elsewhere ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You can refuse. The only way around this for an employer is to create a new full-time role for the required hours and make your part time role redundant with what that entails

Given the nature of the job I don't think that will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

Technically you could remain on part time hours but it means you're giving up those hours and may never be offered them again. Although it may not suit now You will be setting yourself up for never being on full time hours.
    It may leave the principal in a very awkward position of having to offer a contract of one hour a day to someone to fill the space.... if there's another less senior sna working the junior infant day, they could be offered the extra hour. Extra hours must be offered in order of seniority.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I think you may loose your seniority as full hours would trump years? I also wonder is there grounds for non renewal of contract as school may only have 1 Sna and you aren't fulfilling their requirements/needs. I'd contact your union for more sound advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

Full time hours does not trump years. You would still hold seniority. Years definitely hold over hours. But it's could create a problem for the principal regarding filling the post. I've only come across this once before. SNA was most senior but wanted to work part time as children came along. She effectively gave up half her job and was told she would not be offered full time after that.
    I would definitely contact your union for clarification on this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement