Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Bike _ UniMoke

Options
  • 18-04-2018 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭

Anyone come across Moke electric bikes? Wondering if anyone has tried them in the Irish context... ie. Weather, road conditions, road users? Also what they're like for taller riders?

www.urbandrivestyle.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

448590.jpg

448592.jpg

448591.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's the first time I've ever thought that it could be possible to have a bicycle and wear a Hells Angels leather jacket while riding it...

It's the first time I've ever thought that it could be possible to have a bicycle and wear a Hells Angels leather jacket while riding it...

Jaysus, what kind of hell's angels have you come across?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Anyone come across Moke electric bikes? Wondering if anyone has tried them in the Irish context... ie. Weather, road conditions, road users? Also what they're like for taller riders?

www.urbandrivestyle.com

Video suggests they aren't assist only thus these wouldn't be road legal in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

ED E wrote: »
    Video suggests they aren't assist only thus these wouldn't be road legal in Ireland.

Some images and sales bullets suggest they are assisted and possibly legal.
    3 Levels of pedal assist
    Throttle: Optional (right side)

I would imagine if you had no optional throttle then all you'd have would be pedal assist, but interesting observation on the videos.

UNIMOKE_basic_large.png?v=1521548633

FD9E0B55-09DF-4DAF-BE05-E1868CAC86B6_2048x_16c7c441-26c3-439f-945b-5eca862e9578_400x400.png?v=1521797495

• Advertisement

After a week bit of research, I see that there are two variations. One is L1e-A category which is for “assisted powered cycles” with a maximum speed of 25 km/h and maximum 1 kW of power. The second is L1e_B category, which can reach 45 km/h and are basically classed as mopeds.

Does anyone know what the legality of a L1e-A bike is in Ireland? To my understanding it is a pedelac and doesn't require registration or insurance, just like a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

A is legal, B is also legal but does require motor tax, insurance, registration plate, helmet use etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Jaysus, what kind of hell's angels have you come across?

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, the A variant is perfect.

Advertisement