Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Correct way of installing sink

Options
  • 18-04-2018 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi,

I had a plumber past week coming home to change an old sink with a new one. He said that the old one was glued on the tiles and removing it could have caused the tiles to break, which of course happened.

After that he cut a piece of drywall because he said the old screws where too loose and couldn't hold the new basin, so cutting the drywall he could find the metal studs and he screwed a piece of wood there and because the tiler wasn't available he just installed the sink for now with the exposed drywall and piece of wood.

Next week he'll come back with the tiler to finish the job.

The problem is: the piece of wood is thicker than the drywall and I'm not sure if it will be ok in any case to put the tiles directly on the wood or if it could be attacked by mold etc.

Should I ask to replace the piece of wood with a piece of drywall? If not I don't want to be too difficult but I also don't want to have problems in future.

If instead the tiles can't go directly on the wood could you explain why so that I can be prepared to question them?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

im sure there both professionals,have a little faith in them

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭EZ26

thanks for your reply agusta. You don't see anything strange then? I was asking because I'm not an expert of course but I thought that he had to put a piece of drywall back and then tile but from your answer I think it's also ok to tile directly on the wood? Because he didn't put a piece of wood between the studs, to clarify, he used a piece of wood instead of the drywall.

Thanks

if you could post a picture it would help.you cant use tile cement based adhesive on wood unless its genuine wbp plywood or marine plywood

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

agusta wrote: »
    if you could post a picture it would help.you cant use tile cement based adhesive on wood unless its genuine wbp plywood or marine plywood

He could of put the timber proud of the dry wall to allow for the thickness of the tile when measuring up for the waste pipe and hot and cold fittings
    When the tiler is back the sink can be disconnected timber taken out new grounds put in dry walled tiled then sink matches in with pipes and fittings again

agusta wrote: »

I'll do later as soon as possible. Practically the piece of wood is in the middle of the drywall, so I think, because the tiles are big, he wants to put the cement over the drywall and wood and practically the part that will actually work is the one touching the drywall.

• Advertisement

He could of put the timber proud of the dry wall to allow for the thickness of the tile when measuring up for the waste pipe and hot and cold fittings
    When the tiler is back the sink can be disconnected timber taken out new grounds put in dry walled tiled then sink matches in with pipes and fittings again

I wish you are right. When he left he was saying that the tiler would have worked around the sink, so his idea would be to have the sink touching the exposed wood.

If he wants to go ahead that way I'll get rid of him and I'll need to find someone else that actually is capable of doing a proper job.

If you know of someone (even you if this is your job) please let me know.

Thanks

The tiler would most likely be unscrewing the sink and tiling behind the sink

I really hope you are right. Let's see.

What would you suggest if they want to keep the wood there instead of replacing it with a piece of drywall? Should I stop them and find someone else?

I don't even think it's allowed to replace a piece of drywall with a piece of wood, or maybe is it if it's tiled?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

A photo would prob help us out at this stage to put your mind at ease

• Advertisement

I'm far at the moment, I'll take pictures as soon as possible. If in the meanwhile you have any suggestion on what to ask and what to expect for when they'll go to do the job I would really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭dodzy

EZ26 wrote: »
    I'm far at the moment, I'll take pictures as soon as possible. If in the meanwhile you have any suggestion on what to ask and what to expect for when they'll go to do the job I would really appreciate it.

“You’re tiling behind the sink, I take it?”

dodzy wrote: »
    “You’re tiling behind the sink, I take it?”

thanks, that will be the first thing I'll ask. If they say no, that's it! I need someone else

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Donut

EZ our bathroom has tiles on wood.

No issues in nearly 10 years.

Thanks a lot Danny, that really helps. If they will fit the tiles properly including behind the sink it should be ok then!

We've an enclosed cistern (so all you see is the buttons). The easiest way to do that was to mount it on the block wall and a box around it in ply.

That was the plumber's idea. The tiler (at the time was straight from tiling college in the States) had loads of ideas but was perfectly happy tiling onto ply.

• Site Banned Posts: 28 FelchWivMe

If you're such a sink installation expert then why don't you just do the whole job yourself.

FelchWivMe wrote: »
    If you're such a sink installation expert then why don't you just do the whole job yourself.

Which post suggests that the OP is a sink installation expert?

Do you have any other help to offer?

Which post suggests that the OP is a sink installation expert?

Do you have any other help to offer?

Yeah my help being stop second guessing what a paid expert is doing if you have such little idea how to fit a sink that you would pay someone else to do it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

FelchWivMe wrote: »

MOD NOTE: Don't post on this thread again.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_X5E0YU0AA465z.jpg:large

dOnT pOsT hErE aGaIn

MOD NOTE: Banned from the forum

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

EZ our bathroom has tiles on wood.

No issues in nearly 10 years.

It’s always grand for 10 years. Then your house falls down. Deffo. I’ve seen it happen.

endacl wrote: »
    It’s always grand for 10 years. Then your house falls down. Deffo. I’ve seen it happen.

Funny Endacl

Though I think I did feel a bit of a rumble the other day.

Thanks guys for all the help and thoughts.

In the end the tiler came today and did a great job. He said the plumber left me with a very bad situation and he rolled his sleeves and removed the piece of wood, placed another one between the studs, then placed the same material that was cut by the plumber on top of the wood, then used cement and then tiled on top.

I'm really happy and the good thing is that when he arrived I told him what I wanted based on what you suggested and he agreed on everything, confirming that the plumber shouldn't have done some sh...

Thanks again for you help

Advertisement