Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interactive Sky/ Star Map

Options
  • 18-04-2018 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for an interactive website that displays star maps and constellations, Is there any recommendations? Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Stellarium would be my recommendation.

http://stellarium.org/

You might need one of the earlier versions if your device doesn't have the most up-to-date graphics card etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Stellarium would be my recommendation.

http://stellarium.org/

You might need one of the earlier versions if your device doesn't have the most up-to-date graphics card etc.

Thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

My mac isn't letting me open this because it is not an apple app :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ps200306

Did you download the right installer? Stellarium supports Mac, Linux, and Windows. If you'd prefer a website so you don't have to run an application you could try Google Sky, but it's not nearly as pretty or easy to use for visualisations or for planning actual observing as Stellarium. But it does have access to various astronomical archives. Other alternatives include the various Virtual Observatories (which you can Google), the Sloan Digital Sky Survey, and various catalogues at CDS Strasbourg and elsewhere, but these are geared toward more technical access to astronomical archive data. If you want visualisations to help learn about how the sky moves, I heartily recommend the Nebraska Astronomy Applets project, but you have to be able to run Java in your browser.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    My mac isn't letting me open this because it is not an apple app :confused:

under security & privacy in your system preferences, change the "allow applications downloaded from:" setting to something less restrictive like "app store and identified developers". if that's already selected then just go with "anywhere"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you have an Android phone then the Google Sky Map is handy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Josip007

[font=arial, sans-serif]Google Sky Map[/font][font=arial, sans-serif] helps you to explore the Universe using your Android phone[/font]

Advertisement