Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wire from meterbox to board

Options
  • 18-04-2018 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭

i was on a job today and noticed that the meter box is on the front of the house and the board is at the back. the wire runs through the ceiling joists and is chased into a small part of the wall

is this right. can you run that wire where ever you like without any special protection

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Ak84

I think so. Don't know how old the install is but a recent addition to the regs is a requirement that if the distance from meter to consumer unit is more than 3 Mtrs then a 63 amp mcb is needed in meter box.
    If chased into wall it should be in conduit and I'm guessing this is directly above Consumer unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

not even conected yet. renovation of old house.
    wire running up the walll, through the ceiling joists and down into consumer unit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Does the Earth now have to be the same size as the meter tails now also? All 16mm^2 just curious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Jimmy Dags

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Does the Earth now have to be the same size as the meter tails now also? All 16mm^2 just curious.

It does, don’t install anything any less. If in doubt consult an REC.

so can you run a wire in a chase up a wall from the meter box to the ceiling . there are no signs that this wire is there. the meter box is outside and consumer box is in another room

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

there are no signs that this wire is there.

There is. You said it yourself, there is a meter box on the other side of the wall. As signs go this is as good as it gets.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Tuco88 wrote: »

My understanding is that T & E is no longer permitted so I would take it that this applies to the tails too. Perhaps someone else can confirm.

2011 wrote: »
    There is. You said it yourself, there is a meter box on the other side of the wall. As signs go this is as good as it gets.

Yes by most people would not think the wire would be there.

Yes by most people would not think the wire would be there.

I’m not trying to be smart but a meter box is a sure sign of mains cabling. Even more so than a switch or a socket.

I’m not trying to be smart but a meter box is a sure sign of mains cabling. Even more so than a switch or a socket.

I can understand that. But this is. Running horizontally for a foot or 2 along an inside wall then up at a bit of an angle. .
    I would have assumed that some kind if conduit it plate would be needed to stop it being drill d into

• Advertisement

But this is. Running horizontally for a foot or 2 along an inside wall then up at a bit of an angle.

This is new information.
    This would not be permitted without adaquate mechanical protection.

This is new information.
    This would not be permitted without adaquate mechanical protection.

Sorry. I thought I wrote that. I had a longer post fail to post

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Ak84

Definitely need some protection.
    T and E is still fine though when it's ran properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Fair to say so the c.p.c must be the same c.s.a as the line conductor so? For all cable runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭thecribber

Ak84 wrote: »
    I think so. Don't know how old the install is but a recent addition to the regs is a requirement that if the distance from meter to consumer unit is more than 3 Mtrs then a 63 amp mcb is needed in meter box.
    If chased into wall it should be in conduit and I'm guessing this is directly above Consumer unit?

Hardly a "recent addition" this requirement came in in the 2008 4th edition, ten years ago. It's fair to say that a lot of contractors are only "recently" applying many of the 4th edition requirements.

Rule 522.6.4 Any cable that does not go directly horizontally or vertically to a point is required to have earthed metal mechanical protection. This will apply to the mains cable. It will also very often apply to cables dropping down the inside walls for exterior lights.

Main protective conductor is now required to be 16sq. There was an exception for the old type T&E cable which no longer applies.

Advertisement