Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spinning on dodder

Options
  • 18-04-2018 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi lads..is spinning on the river dodder or any river that holds wild brown trout successful...what methods do ye use..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Fishabout wrote: »
    Hi lads..is spinning on the river dodder or any river that holds wild brown trout successful...what methods do ye use..

I have never spun for trout - it's a species I much prefer to fly fish for, but if your spinning, small mepps style spinners would be best - Methods will vary day to day - a slow steady retrieve, a fast jerky motion or just a middle of the road ramble through the water, depends what mood the fish are in.

Regards success - thats up to you, if you fish where there are no fish you wont catch any fish! So learning the water is important, and takes time, so essentially success will come, but with experience. As with anything you have to work at it!

Be sure you are allowed to spin in the area you are thinking of and if it's club water. I have no idea what the licence situation on the dodder is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Summer In the City

You can spin anywhere on the Dodder with your licence. Bohernabreena is fly only.

I had some success using spoons in the deeper water on the Dodder. It really is worth trying the fly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I'll only spin on the dodder. Mepps size 1 or a 0. Never failed. Ive used minnow lures aswell. Ive caught trout that were barely bigger than the lure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Fishabout

Would the dodder be a high pressure fished river and therefore the trout have probably seen every spinner imaginable...or would they still go for the spinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Fishabout wrote: »
    Would the dodder be a high pressure fished river and therefore the trout have probably seen every spinner imaginable...or would they still go for the spinner.

The main areas are. Anywhere that's easily accessible is hard fishing. It's either heavily baited with maggots constantly or spun regularly. For good results get to areas that lazy anglers won't venture to. Through heavy horse bush, thick trees etc. They're the places I go and guaranteed a fish first cast. Size doesn't matter the fish is guaranteed a wild trout. More of an achievement from a wild fish anyway. And always released back safely

• Advertisement

The main areas are. Anywhere that's easily accessible is hard fishing. It's either heavily baited with maggots constantly or spun regularly. For good results get to areas that lazy anglers won't venture to. Through heavy horse bush, thick trees etc. They're the places I go and guaranteed a fish first cast. Size doesn't matter the fish is guaranteed a wild trout. More of an achievement from a wild fish anyway. And always released back safely

Yeah that's true going to places that is not easy accessible and not heavily fished would produce a nice wild brownie..I've had success before on a country river that wasn't easily accessible in regards to gorse bushes etc and it did produce some nice small wild brown trout!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

For good results get to areas that lazy anglers won't venture to. Through heavy horse bush, thick trees etc. They're the places I go and guaranteed a fish first cast. Size doesn't matter the fish is guaranteed a wild trout. More of an achievement from a wild fish anyway. And always released back safely
    +1. I cut my teeth fishing as a kid on the upper reaches of the Slaney, the Kings and the Dodder. Back then in the late 70's/early 80's I would say it was under even more fishing pressure. Angling was massive back then. More than today anyway judging by the turn out I see on the Dodder(which is very close by). I remember in 1982 staying up with a mate of mine to go fish the Dodder when it opened at 12 AM on Paddies day. It was shoulder to shoulder folks fishing, quite literally in some of the hot spots. Same thing applied as you say DA, go for the difficult even nasty to get to spots. Far less pressure.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1. I cut my teeth fishing as a kid on the upper reaches of the Slaney, the Kings and the Dodder. Back then in the late 70's/early 80's I would say it was under even more fishing pressure. Angling was massive back then. More than today anyway judging by the turn out I see on the Dodder(which is very close by). I remember in 1982 staying up with a mate of mine to go fish the Dodder when it opened at 12 AM on Paddies day. It was shoulder to shoulder folks fishing, quite literally in some of the hot spots. Same thing applied as you say DA, go for the difficult even nasty to get to spots. Far less pressure.

I remember in the early 80's when i was about 10yrs old, in the summer (when we actually had a summer back then) going off fishing on the Dodder for hours with some of my mates that lived on my road it was like going on an adventure back then, only one of my mates had a small two piece fibreglass fishing rod, no one else had a rod. He use to cut a very small piece of lead for weight from a sheet of flat lead and pinch it on his line and used maggots as bait..man the excitement amongst us when the rod would shake and he caught a fish, I was hooked on fishing since then. but i kind of remember the fishing was good back then seemed more trout.. ah the good oul days...but your right angling was massive back then, was a lot more out on the Dodder.

Advertisement