Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reccommed a Wearable GPS

Options
  • 18-04-2018 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi all, looking for recommendations for a wearable GSP device to act as a one-stop shop for the various activities & tracking methods I am using at the mo. My activities below.

Cycling: Usually put the smartphone in the bike bag and track using MapMyRide. Would like to be able to forget the phone, and get a device that tracks as I ride, and has connectivity with Gamrin/MayMyRun/Strava etc.

Running: Use a CASIO to track time, and if interested in distance, I will map it out on MapMyRun afterwards. Would like a device that tracks as I run, and has connectivity with Gamrin/MayMyRun/Strava etc.

Hiking/Trekking: Use a Garmin eTrex Vista for tracking and navigation. Has been invaluable to me over the years in Ireland and abroad for navigation in remote places and awful weather.

Swim/Kayak: Currently don't track at all, apart from counting lengths or using pool clock. Would like to be able to track open water swims/kayak sessions.

Adventure Races/Triathlons: Currently not tracking at all really, apart from time on Casio.

I am aware that most wearable GPS devices won't offer navigation, so I am happy to continue to use the Garmin eTrex for that, but would appreciate some advice on a device (wrist or chesty mounted) that ticks all the other boxes.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

burly wrote: »
    Hi all, looking for recommendations for a wearable GSP device to act as a one-stop shop for the various activities & tracking methods I am using at the mo. My activities below.

Cycling: Usually put the smartphone in the bike bag and track using MapMyRide. Would like to be able to forget the phone, and get a device that tracks as I ride, and has connectivity with Gamrin/MayMyRun/Strava etc.

Running: Use a CASIO to track time, and if interested in distance, I will map it out on MapMyRun afterwards. Would like a device that tracks as I run, and has connectivity with Gamrin/MayMyRun/Strava etc.

Hiking/Trekking: Use a Garmin eTrex Vista for tracking and navigation. Has been invaluable to me over the years in Ireland and abroad for navigation in remote places and awful weather.

Swim/Kayak: Currently don't track at all, apart from counting lengths or using pool clock. Would like to be able to track open water swims/kayak sessions.

Adventure Races/Triathlons: Currently not tracking at all really, apart from time on Casio.

I am aware that most wearable GPS devices won't offer navigation, so I am happy to continue to use the Garmin eTrex for that, but would appreciate some advice on a device (wrist or chesty mounted) that ticks all the other boxes.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Garmin 735XT will cover most of that and is a very good price right now, as its available for about 340 euro online, thats roughly what i got it for anyway. It has a wrist hr facility but you can purchase chest straps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Sunnto Ambit Series... Will do all that and very customisable. Exremely quick gps connection and very simple user interface. Makes garmin look like amateurs imo. Not as expensive either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Sunnto Ambit Series... Will do all that and very customisable. Exremely quick gps connection and very simple user interface. Makes garmin look like amateurs imo. Not as expensive either

+1 to this. I have the Suunto Ambit 3 Vertical (mostly for trail running) and I couldn't recommend the brand highly enough. Much better battery life, navigation and more versatile while at a much lower price point than Garmin. Movescount sucks a little but I'll get over that for in return for a good quality watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭burly

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't considered Suunto before.

They seem to have a range of watches,the Ambit3 Vertical, the Ambit3 Peak, the Traverse, the Spartan Sport and the Spartan Ultra.

How does the Ambit 3 Vertical creates tracks? Is it a .GPX file or .TCX file? And are the recordings on Movescount transferable to Strava/MapmyRide etc? Does the Suunto Ambit allow you to import GPX tracks/Waypoints and then go out and follow them?

Found a great comparison here. https://besthiking.net/best-watches-for-hiking-2015/.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭burly

Does the 735XT do navigation? And if so how well? Can you upload a route to it, go out and follow it, and will it give you turn by turn directions/alerts? Is it possible to create a track while out hiking, and create waypoints on the move?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

burly wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I hadn't considered Suunto before.

They seem to have a range of watches,the Ambit3 Vertical, the Ambit3 Peak, the Traverse, the Spartan Sport and the Spartan Ultra.

How does the Ambit 3 Vertical creates tracks? Is it a .GPX file or .TCX file? And are the recordings on Movescount transferable to Strava/MapmyRide etc? Does the Suunto Ambit allow you to import GPX tracks/Waypoints and then go out and follow them?

Found a great comparison here. https://besthiking.net/best-watches-for-hiking-2015/.

I have the Ambit3 Vertical. The reason I chose it over the peak? The Peak is ever so slightly bulkier than the Vertical and I've a really narrow wrist - and the vertical has all the functionality that I need. I know two guys with the peak though and they're no problems with it.

I've uploaded/imported .GPX files to it for navigation, it might possibly take .TCX files also but I haven't tried. You can also put in way points.

Recordings from Movescount transfer to Strava but I haven't tried Mapmyride etc.

Advertisement