Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power distribution and switched power devices

Options
  • 18-04-2018 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

A slightly more technical thread for the forum if you will...

I have two devices that require their own power source as well as a connection to a switched power source to determine if the bike has been powered on. One is a tracker and the other is an alarm. The tracker draws a small trickle all the time and the alarm would obviously turn off when the ignition is turned on.

Does anyone have experience wiring something like this up and would a power distribution module like a PDM60 work ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

:eek:....What..???.....you building an electric bike Willis..........:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

A dist. unit isn't essential. You'll have a switched power connector somewhere on the bike - cockpit or under saddle.
    The question is can it support the current draw. If not, use it to switch a relay and power the device direct from the battery.
    But .. don't you want these devices powered permanently, or at least when ign is off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

A dist. unit isn't essential. You'll have a switched power connector somewhere on the bike - cockpit or under saddle.
    The question is can it support the current draw. If not, use it to switch a relay and power the device direct from the battery.
    But .. don't you want these devices powered permanently, or at least when ign is off?

I was thinking the pdu would be a neater way forward. One of the devices, the tracker stays on all the time but goes asleep when it detects the bike is gone off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

CJhaughey wrote: »

I've been considering that unit. I'd like to consolidate all my connections and relays. All the EB kit looks so well put together. I must look to see if they have a manual headlight switch kit listed.

Devil,
    How will your tracker cope if the bike is pinched by lifting it into a van?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I've been considering that unit. I'd like to consolidate all my connections and relays. All the EB kit looks so well put together. I must look to see if they have a manual headlight switch kit listed.

Devil,

Are you fitting a relay as well, or just switching the main wiring?

Devil,

Congratulate them on a feat of brilliance.

Might be just what I need , thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

D3V!L wrote: »

Happens more often than you think. I've heard of roofs been taken off garages and the bike lifted out.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Happens more often than you think. I've heard of roofs been taken off garages and the bike lifted out.

20 years biking and 30 plus bikes, (most premium models) owned I've never had a bike robbed. Strange that. Anyway completely off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

20 years biking and 30 plus bikes, (most premium models) owned I've never had a bike robbed. Strange that. Anyway completely off topic.

Famous last words....;)...then why bother with all this stuff ???

Famous last words....;)...then why bother with all this stuff ???

Its an insurance requirement.

Are you fitting a relay as well, or just switching the main wiring?

For the headlight switch? Via a relay. If I'm going to meddle I may as well do it properly.
    I see EB do have a selection of options and switches. With two relays. I must take a closer look at the main beam circuit 'cos the switches are single pole.
    Of course I'll be tempted to add the dist. board to the shopping list - to make the most of the shipping costs!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I disconnected the always on headlight on my bike, which I use that way for certain use only. But mine is an old-fashioned bike where you can cut, add relays etc easily.

A modern CANBUS bike on the other hand, won't let you do that - you can't simply cut/tap the headlight wire- will cause all kind of issues. Even adding lights is a pain. Although stuff like this exists to help: https://www.clearwaterlights.com/pages/canopener

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Let me re-phrase my question:
    How will your tracker cope if your bike is pinched by breaking the steering lock and wheeling it onto a hydraulic lift into the back of a truck?

Seriously though .. what's the advantage of having the tracker off when the ign is off?

galwaytt wrote: »
    I disconnected the always on headlight on my bike, which I use that way for certain use only. But mine is an old-fashioned bike where you can cut, add relays etc easily.

A modern CANBUS bike on the other hand, won't let you do that - you can't simply cut/tap the headlight wire- will cause all kind of issues. Even adding lights is a pain. Although stuff like this exists to help: https://www.clearwaterlights.com/pages/canopener

Thanks GTT, I may go for something to open up the CANBUS in the end, rather than tap into it.

Has anyone tried the Hex EXCAN ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,631 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I have a Relay Fuse board that is made buy a guy on Vstrom forum UK. have had mine installed about 4 years.

It powers tracker, Heated Grips and also a USB Outlet, Relay switches on when the bikes ignition is on. Recharges the GPS battery at that time and activates the grips and USB outlet.

I love it, worth every penny.

http://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=24607.0

Takes 3 Fused Outputs.

Advertisement