Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Free parking in Dublin 6

  • 18-04-2018 11:56am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ pajoemccracken


    Free parking in Palmerston Gardens, Dublin 6 near Cowper Luas stop



    I recently moved from Dublin to Cork for a new job so thought I would help hard pressed Southside commuters by revealing the following, which has saved me a fortune!: I parked for free for over three years on Palmerston Gardens off Cowper Road in Dublin 6, just a 6/7 minute walk from Cowper Luas Green line stop to town. Theres always free spaces and you can park there from morning to night. I still use the parking if going up to Dublin for weekend. Park in Palmerston Gardens and get Luas into town. I stay at my mates flat in town and I leave my car parked over the weekend. Collect it on Sunday on way home. No pay and display or permit parking on the road so its totally free and local residents don’t seem to mind one bit. One of the last roads in Dublin 6 with free parking. Its also a very safe area. Car has never been damaged. Enjoy.


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 18,586 ✭✭✭✭ ELM327


    And with that you've ruined it!


  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ pajoemccracken


    Trying to help people...yeah..


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,586 ✭✭✭✭ ELM327


    Yes but with the post you'll probably have many many cars parking there now.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭ Losty Dublin


    Trying to help people...yeah..

    The residents around there will beg to differ :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 30 johnmcdon


    Thanks OP.
    Will use at the weekend.
    Dont't mind the begrudgers. Parking in the city is extortion. Glad some people on boards community are trying to help cash strapped country folk.
    Cheers
    John
    Free parking in Palmerston Gardens, Dublin 6 near Cowper Luas stop



    I recently moved from Dublin to Cork for a new job so thought I would help hard pressed Southside commuters by revealing the following, which has saved me a fortune!: I parked for free for over three years on Palmerston Gardens off Cowper Road in Dublin 6, just a 6/7 minute walk from Cowper Luas Green line stop to town. Theres always free spaces and you can park there from morning to night. I still use the parking if going up to Dublin for weekend. Park in Palmerston Gardens and get Luas into town. I stay at my mates flat in town and I leave my car parked over the weekend. Collect it on Sunday on way home. No pay and display or permit parking on the road so its totally free and local residents don’t seem to mind one bit. One of the last roads in Dublin 6 with free parking. Its also a very safe area. Car has never been damaged. Enjoy.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭ Marcusm


    Free parking in Palmerston Gardens, Dublin 6 near Cowper Luas stop



    I recently moved from Dublin to Cork for a new job so thought I would help hard pressed Southside commuters by revealing the following, which has saved me a fortune!: I parked for free for over three years on Palmerston Gardens off Cowper Road in Dublin 6, just a 6/7 minute walk from Cowper Luas Green line stop to town. Theres always free spaces and you can park there from morning to night. I still use the parking if going up to Dublin for weekend. Park in Palmerston Gardens and get Luas into town. I stay at my mates flat in town and I leave my car parked over the weekend. Collect it on Sunday on way home. No pay and display or permit parking on the road so its totally free and local residents don’t seem to mind one bit. One of the last roads in Dublin 6 with free parking. Its also a very safe area. Car has never been damaged. Enjoy.

    EPIC fail; there are 3 roads much closer to that Luas stop which are not permit parking!


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭ Marcusm


    johnmcdon wrote: »
    Thanks OP.
    Will use at the weekend.
    Dont't mind the begrudgers. Parking in the city is extortion. Glad some people on boards community are trying to help cash strapped country folk.
    Cheers
    John

    You wouldn't need to park that far away at the weekend even if using permit roads!


  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ pajoemccracken


    Marcusm wrote: »
    EPIC fail; there are 3 roads much closer to that Luas stop which are not permit parking!

    Yes. there are other free parking roads but I find Palmerston Gardens off Cowper the best.
    If you would like to inform us of the roads I am sure other boards users would like to hear them.
    The more free roads the merrier as far as I’m concerned.

    I have tried a lot of roads over my time in Dublin.
    I’m aware of two other roads in the area that have free parking. The south side of Palmerston Park is also free but I wouldn’t leave my car there overnight or at weekends as it’s not as safe as Palmerston Gardens. It’s also slightly further from the Luas. Cowper Gardens is next to Cowper Luas but to get there from the Southside in the mornings it’s way more hassle driving/traffic wise than getting to Palmerston Gardens. Plus the road is tiny and it’s very awkward leaving your car there for any period of time and the local residents don’t like seeing strange cars parked there. Palmerston Gardens by contrast has a long stretch near Cowper Road where you could leave your car (safely) for weekend and it would be there safe and sound when you return.
    pajoe:)


  • Registered Users Posts: 30,627 ✭✭✭✭ Lumen


    The residents around there will beg to differ :)
    One doesn't beg in D6, dear boy. It's unbecoming.


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,751 ✭✭✭✭ Wishbone Ash


    .... and local residents don’t seem to mind one bit....
    What makes you think they don't mind? Just because no one has said anything, doesn't mean they don't mind. Strangers regularly park for days and sometimes weeks, on the street outside my house. I don't say anything because I've no entitlement to a parking spot but it is frustrating at times having to find alternative parking.

    I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be impressed if people parked outside your house all day.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭ LeChienMefiant


    Strangers regularly park for days and sometimes weeks, on the street outside my house.
    Are you in a paid parking area? You can get the free parking hours restricted by petitioning the council.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 43,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭ magicbastarder


    yep, they did that when i was living in phibsboro. was voted in by 55% to 45% - one reason why so many people were against it may have been the large number of houses subdivided for rentals - in order to get a resident's permit, the car has to be registered at the address. and there may have been a quota per house?


  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭ LeChienMefiant


    yep, they did that when i was living in phibsboro. was voted in by 55% to 45% - one reason why so many people were against it may have been the large number of houses subdivided for rentals - in order to get a resident's permit, the car has to be registered at the address. and there may have been a quota per house?
    Yep, and its more expensive in flats.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 43,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭ magicbastarder


    whoops, by 'registered' i meant insured.


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 61,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ L1011


    It's also not possible to get a permit for a newer apartment that had spaces in the development either


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭ veryangryman


    I like the OPs style. Spread the love.
    Dublin has such a suction effect on one's wallet. The few workarounds are a blessing.


  • Registered Users Posts: 30 johnmcdon


    Free parking in Palmerston Gardens, Dublin 6 near Cowper Luas stop



    I recently moved from Dublin to Cork for a new job so thought I would help hard pressed Southside commuters by revealing the following, which has saved me a fortune!: I parked for free for over three years on Palmerston Gardens off Cowper Road in Dublin 6, just a 6/7 minute walk from Cowper Luas Green line stop to town. Theres always free spaces and you can park there from morning to night. I still use the parking if going up to Dublin for weekend. Park in Palmerston Gardens and get Luas into town. I stay at my mates flat in town and I leave my car parked over the weekend. Collect it on Sunday on way home. No pay and display or permit parking on the road so its totally free and local residents don’t seem to mind one bit. One of the last roads in Dublin 6 with free parking. Its also a very safe area. Car has never been damaged. Enjoy.

    All, just an update on this. I have been using this road for the past 3 or 4 months and it has been great. I park my car at the Cowper Road end of Palmerston Gardens at around 7.30 am each work morning, get the green line Luas to town to work and come back at around 5.30 or 6 pm and my car is there safe and sound. And all free! Saved a fortune. Saving for deposit for house. need all the money I can get.
    Thanks again to pajoemccracken for this great money saving tip. The naysayers and begrudgers were wrong yet again!


  • Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭✭ DartryUser


    I actually live on this road and the parking situation for residents has really deteriorated in the past year. The road is constantly full of cars whose owners park for free for the day then get the bus or Luas into work. Often they dump their cars on Friday morning and don’t collect them until Monday evening. Some cars are left there for weeks on end. To make matters worse, commuters often throw rubbish on the ground without any cpnsideration of the people who live here - who by the way pay massive property tax but get little or no benefit for it. Please please please park somewhere else.


  • Registered Users Posts: 30 johnmcdon


    DartryUser wrote: »
    I actually live on this road and the parking situation for residents has really deteriorated in the past year. The road is constantly full of cars whose owners park for free for the day then get the bus or Luas into work. Often they dump their cars on Friday morning and don’t collect them until Monday evening. Some cars are left there for weeks on end. To make matters worse, commuters often throw rubbish on the ground without any cpnsideration of the people who live here - who by the way pay massive property tax but get little or no benefit for it. Please please please park somewhere else.

    Will you go away with your guff,.
    The reason ye pay high property taxes is that ye live in houses worth millions they ye inherited from your rich daddy.
    Ye probably are tax evaders and have had your debts written off and paid by us the hard pressed tax payer.
    I have a right to park where I like. If Palmerston Gardens parking is free then I can use it when I like and leave my car there over the weekend.
    I do not dump any rubbish, .
    I am hard working and pay a high mortgage.
    I need to save money where ever I can.
    I will park in Palmerston Gardens and ask everyone else who I know to also park there.
    This is a republic and does not belong to rich people.
    Stop your whinging..
    JohnMc


  • Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭✭ DartryUser


    What can I say? It’s great to have people like you parking on our road every day. Not.........

    I leave others to judge.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,771 ✭✭✭✭ ted1


    DartryUser wrote: »
    What can I say? It’s great to have people like you parking on our road every day. Not.........

    I leave others to judge.

    The road is public. You own the house and it’s gardens. Have no drive way ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭✭ DartryUser


    ted1 wrote: »
    The road is public. You own the house and it’s gardens. Have no drive way ?


    Yes, I have a driveway that fits one car, two at a stretch. And clearly I do not own the road, that is not the point I am trying to make.

    Palmerston Gardens was a lovely road to live on before it became clogged with parked cars, most of which have no connection to the road. Now it is too dangerous for our children to play on the road, which they used to do all the time.

    The irony is that the really fancy roads near us (and nearer to the Cowper Luas stop for that matter) have paid parking in place and not a single car parked on the road. These roads include Temple Gardens and Temple Road, where houses cost between €3 and €10 million and where the driveways can accommodate 4 or 5 cars. Yet it is our (relatively) modest road that bears the brunt of the commuter parking. That is not fair.


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,771 ✭✭✭✭ ted1


    DartryUser wrote: »
    Yes, I have a driveway that fits one car, two at a stretch. And clearly I do not own the road, that is not the point I am trying to make.

    Palmerston Gardens was a lovely road to live on before it became clogged with parked cars, most of which have no connection to the road. Now it is too dangerous for our children to play on the road, which they used to do all the time.

    The irony is that the really fancy roads near us (and nearer to the Cowper Luas stop for that matter) have paid parking in place and not a single car parked on the road. These roads include Temple Gardens and Temple Road, where houses cost between €3 and €10 million and where the driveways can accommodate 4 or 5 cars. Yet it is our (relatively) modest road that bears the brunt of the commuter parking. That is not fair.

    So ask the council to put paid parking.


  • Registered Users Posts: 861 tomwaits48


    johnmcdon wrote: »
    Will you go away with your guff,.
    The reason ye pay high property taxes is that ye live in houses worth millions they ye inherited from your rich daddy.
    Ye probably are tax evaders and have had your debts written off and paid by us the hard pressed tax payer.
    I have a right to park where I like. If Palmerston Gardens parking is free then I can use it when I like and leave my car there over the weekend.
    I do not dump any rubbish, .
    I am hard working and pay a high mortgage.
    I need to save money where ever I can.
    I will park in Palmerston Gardens and ask everyone else who I know to also park there.
    This is a republic and does not belong to rich people.
    Stop your whinging..
    JohnMc


    people who dump their cars like this where I live, soon find odd scratches, wing mirrors disappearing, and flat tyres becoming a regular problem.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 43,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭ magicbastarder


    ted1 wrote: »
    So ask the council to put paid parking.
    yeah, i don't understand why you're not looking into this.

    i'm always bemused by the notion people have that they should be allowed store their one or two ton possessions on publically owned land.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭ sweetie


    I live on the first cul de sac off the main road of our estate with no pay parking. Parking can be impossible and as it's a small estate sometimes non existent. Day to day use I have no issue with as it's a free country but cars left for months at a time tend to disappear when they have no number plates.


  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭ LeChienMefiant


    DartryUser wrote: »
    I actually live on this road and the parking situation for residents has really deteriorated in the past year. The road is constantly full of cars whose owners park for free for the day then get the bus or Luas into work. Often they dump their cars on Friday morning and don’t collect them until Monday evening. Some cars are left there for weeks on end. To make matters worse, commuters often throw rubbish on the ground without any cpnsideration of the people who live here - who by the way pay massive property tax but get little or no benefit for it. Please please please park somewhere else.
    There is no point in trying to appeal to the better nature of people. I recommend contacting your local council about getting paid parking and residents permits implemented. I think your local council is DCC, the below link will help:
    http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-parking-dublin-parking-city-residents/start-parking-scheme

    When this happened in my area it was DCC who contacted us, you don't personally need to involve your neighbours (although they will get a vote). They won't know who proposed the scheme.

    http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-parking-dublin-parking-city-residents/start-parking-scheme


  • Registered Users Posts: 5 ✭✭✭ DartryUser


    Thanks but the situation is complicated. A few years ago we contacted DCC and they arranged a vote of residents. Those in favour of paid parking were in the majority but after initially informing us that they would introduce paid parking, DCC then back tracked and said the vote was "too close". We appealed but no joy although we are still continuing to push for paid parking.


  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭ LeChienMefiant


    There is an election in the coming months, the time is opportune to push your local councillors/candidates to show their mettle.

    We have a minor issue on our street despite the paid parking, I can't imagine the frustration. I know from experience that most people have absolutely no respect for residents with their driving and the stress it causes. As you mention, people are afraid to leave their houses and it can be very isolating.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,771 ✭✭✭✭ ted1


    DartryUser wrote: »
    Thanks but the situation is complicated. A few years ago we contacted DCC and they arranged a vote of residents. Those in favour of paid parking were in the majority but after initially informing us that they would introduce paid parking, DCC then back tracked and said the vote was "too close". We appealed but no joy although we are still continuing to push for paid parking.

    Talk to them again there making changes at the moment.
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/dublin-street-parking-charges-to-increase-by-up-to-70-per-cent-1.3772346%3fmode=amp


Advertisement