Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mandam chain harrow

Options
  • 17-04-2018 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭

Looking to buy a new chain harrow, any opinion on mandam?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

l wouldn't really call them a chain harrow if it's the one I'm thinking of, is it more rings with spikes?

I've a hackett chain harrow. They are good

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Muckit wrote: »
    l wouldn't really call them a chain harrow if it's the one I'm thinking of, is it more rings with spikes?

I've a hackett chain harrow. They are good

+1 on the Hackett. I got mine 5 or 6 years ago. It’s mighty for cleaning out the sward and pretty good for leveling poached ground. I tried a bit of min till reseeding last year but it didn’t work because of the awful autumn but I’ll try again this year if we get the weather.

It might even have been on your recommendation at the time. Did you get yours from Johnston in longford?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

cheers lads, wasnt sure about the harrow alight, will check out the hackett

croot wrote: »
    +1 on the Hackett. I got mine 5 or 6 years ago.

It might even have been on your recommendation at the time. Did you get yours from Johnston in longford?

Yes l bought one off them without the frame but got a folding frame made up for it after. Great job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Have a Hackett here as well. Keep with it and you'll see great improvement after 2 to 3 years. Great for using late in the year. Any old dead grass rots in over the winter and acts as mulch

• Advertisement

They are a simple piece of farm machinery that were used a lot years ago. Then people got out of using them but l find it a great job, once you get the time and the weather to use it!

got a quote for €1750 for 14ft, didn't realise they were so expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

jfh wrote:
    got a quote for €1750 for 14ft, didn't realise they were so expensive!

You'll never use a land roller again tho

14ft hackett, would a 70 hp 2 wheel drive be OK?

jfh wrote: »
    14ft hackett, would a 70 hp 2 wheel drive be OK?

No bother to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,701 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

This is the Hackett chain harrow I have. 10ft wide, 2 sections, 6ft and 4ft. In hindsight, should have gone wider but then again I can move it this way on the loader. No need for frame. I roll it up and it fits away in corner of shed for winter.
    Should last a long time. Tines are made from 1/2". 3 settings too for different levels of severity.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

lab man wrote:
    You'll never use a land roller again tho

I was think of getting one for this reason too. Ended up cutting the heaviest white thorn bush and dragging it over a couple of fields until I conmit

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

tellmeabit wrote: »
    I was think of getting one for this reason too. Ended up cutting the heaviest white thorn bush and dragging it over a couple of fields until I conmit

Serious guntering there :D

It would have been common practice one time to cover grass seed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Muckit wrote: »
    It would have been common practice one time to cover grass seed.

First used to hide the footprints from the British:D

So my Hackett harrow has lost a few of its mattress, can spare pieces be bought? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭limo_100

Have the lend of a chain harrow its the one with the rings in it but disaster this evening the harrow won't unfold I have the cord pulled but the ram will only open a small bit anyone else seen anything like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭White Clover

Is it a single or double acting ram? What kind of tractor?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭White Clover

Is the spool valve set to double acting? Can you hear it activate the pump when you pull and push the lever both ways?

• Advertisement

Yeah it is it is not a tractor issue it is an issue with the harrow just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue with a harrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Open the two nuts when your pumping both ways. Maybe dirt or seized lying up over winter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Ya.

Just to make sure oil is comeing out both ports

Got it sorted was a little bit seized at the pivots but got it opened out today. too bad today was too wet and land is now back in bits

Advertisement