Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best modern Westerns

Options
  • 17-04-2018 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,568 ✭✭✭✭

So guys what do you think are the best or your favourite modern western's ,
    Say from late 80's on  
    I'll go Dances with Wolves , Django  and young guns 1 ( not great movie but loved it growing up )

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Valhalla rising (it has injuns')

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Two that are often overlooked but that stand out for me are Dead Man (1995) staring Johnny Depp, written and directed by Jim Jarmusch and the other one is Ravenous (1999), a horror western with Guy Pierce and Robert Carlyle. Both of these have highly memorable soundtracks and are worthy of mention too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'm not sure movies which are 20~30 yrs old can be described as modern.

Unforgiven
    True Grit
    The Last of the Mohicans
    Seraphim Falls
    Open Range

• Registered Users Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭Glebee

3:10 to Yuma (2007)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

The Proposition (2005)

The Salvation (2014)

Hell or High Water (2016)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Open Range is one that has often been overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭billyhead

As the previous poster said 3:10 to Yuma is very good. Hostiles is a good movie too. The last 20-30 mins of Open range i.e the shootout scene is excellent. Actually the film itself is worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Great thread idea. Love a western. Have never seen Dean Man, will definitely check it out. Also have never seen Hostiles - so please keep the suggestions coming, folks! :)

Always loved Young Guns and the 3:10 to Yuma remake is also a great watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Hostiles is great.

For new suggestions not already mentioned, if you like the genre classics, In a Valley of Violence is a pretty good homage and watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Silverado was great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

The magnificent seven was't too bad (prefer the original though)

Was actually pleasantly surprised by In a Valley of Violence

Maybe Bone Tomahawk (although I can totally see how it's a bit of an acquired taste)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Godless is brilliant I thought. It's a TV show and not a movie but it is amazingly well done. It just looks incredible, everything seems so real. And I found the story captivating, great acting throughout.

I watched the new Magnificent Seven at the weekend and couldn't believe how crap the sets were in comparison, and they must have had a huge budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

True Grit (2010)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah Open range is by far the best modern western, i would love to see it on the big screen some day..

Slow west is another worthy mention not listed above..

and +1 for young guns, as daft as it may be, it sure is fun

Another fun western fav of mine is Jee-woon Kim's movie, The good, the bad and the weird. Balls to the wall fun from the get go wrapped in fantastic cinematography. And holds the best horse back shoot out in any western to date, heck maybe even best shootout of any western :D

Ivan Sen's excellent Mystery Road and Goldstone are well worth a look. They're contemporary set but with all the trappings of a great western. The aesthetic is John Ford meets Eastwood with a hefty slice of Peckinpah for good measure. Mystery Road may be 2 hours long but it's lean, mean and tells an engaging if the familiar story and could easily be set 150 years ago.

Goldstone is an exceptional piece of cinema. A lyrical murder mystery that tackles some serious socioeconomic issues in an intelligent and adult manner. It's a beautifully haunting neo-noir sporting an exceptional lead performance and a genuinely interesting and layered story

The Keeping Room is also worth a watch, simple, understated and wonderfully low key, The Keeping Room is what happens when you take an idea and keep it small but never let it feel small. The cast are good and while it never really comes to much, it's never the less constantly gripping, gorgeous to look at and nicely grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭xtal191

The Assassination of Jesse James

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Relatively recent...
    Hell Or High Water -
    The Assassination of Jesse James
    Slow West
    The Proposition

And just post-90s
    Unforgiven
    Tombstone

Could you class Logan as a western?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

Godless is brilliant I thought. It's a TV show and not a movie but it is amazingly well done. It just looks incredible, everything seems so real. And I found the story captivating, great acting throughout.

Was about to say exactly this, really enjoyed the series. Deadwood would be another excellent Western tv series to add to the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭p to the e

A recent Western film I really enjoyed was "Appaloosa" starring Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen with Harris directing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

Was about to say exactly this, really enjoyed the series. Deadwood would be another excellent Western tv series to add to the list.

Again not a film but an klondike is well worth a watch. There are definitely lessons there for RTE on how to best use the licence money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Back to the Future 3

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Would it be terrible of me to suggest Cowboys and Aliens?

Great characters and a great story (before all hell breaks loose)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

I remember liking this. It came out around the same time as Open Range.

220px-Missing_ver2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,542 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Thanks for the recommendations, great thread. Another vouch for Open Range. Classic of the genre, Good v Bad, ruthless bullies, romance, tragic killing, quite, tough men, a gun hand (with a past) and above all... revenge! All set on an amazing cinema photographic backdrop with brilliant skyscapes and peaceful, rolling landscapes.

A simple, well made, well structured, well acted movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I really enjoyed Seraphim Falls

• Registered Users Posts: 9 burgershack

Open Range

Dances with wolves

Wyatt Earp(Kevin Costner version)

Quigley down under

Lone star

Matewan

Seraphim Falls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Not a movie and might not even be considered modern by some but I’ve recently rewatched the epic mini-series Lonesome Dove. A standout of the genre.

I was only 11 or 12 the first time I saw it and I still love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Slow West. One of Fassbender's better films

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Bone Tomahawk too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,985 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Depends what one considers a "modern" western.

For me, it's anything that's from the 70's onwards (including 1969's 'The Wild Bunch'), when the time of the "revisonist western" really made its mark. Although, the so called "revisonist western" had been a thing since the 50's.

Stuff like 'A Man Called Horse', 'The Outlaw Josey Wales', 'Little Big Man', 'Chato's Land', 'Barquero', 'The Shootist', 'High Plains Drifter', 'Soldier Blue', 'Jeremiah Johnson', 'The Long Riders', 'Death Hunt', 'Dances with Wolves', 'Unforgiven', 'Ride with the Devil', 'The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford', 'Slow West', 'True Grit', 'Bone Tomahawk', 'The Ballad of Lefty Brown' are all great modern westerns and well worth a watch.

Haven't seen 'Hostiles' yet, but I hear it's good and special mention goes to 'The Shadow of Chikara', which I've been waiting to come out on a decent DVD or blu ray for years. But, I think I might be left waiting.

Unfortunately, like the war film, 90% of westerns are rubbish. You have to wade through the mire and find the gems.

Advertisement