Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea Bass Fishing Dublin

Options
  • 17-04-2018 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have been fishing for the last few years around Dublin (Mainly summer sea fishing for mackerel). This year i want to catch seabass and I'm looking for any advice on how to do so in the dublin area. Has anyone had any luck around Dublin? What are you catching them on ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

I'm not being smart here so please don't take it that way. But it's highly unlikely anyone here will tell you any specific spots around to catch bass. I know I tried everything years ago to find out where to get them and how and tbh unless you're lucky you'll have to find your own way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 evanreid95

cd07 wrote: »
    I'm not being smart here so please don't take it that way. But it's highly unlikely anyone here will tell you any specific spots around to catch bass. I know I tried everything years ago to find out where to get them and how and tbh unless you're lucky you'll have to find your own way!

thanks for your reply, I might have come across wrong but I'm not looking for exact locations as i don't want to take anyones spots but i want to know if people are having luck catching bass in the dublin area

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Learning to catch bass is easy - It just takes years and years of experience and knowledge! And Luck.

Have a look at these videos, they tell you what to look for, and why fish are in certain parts of the sea and not others. Its the same as hunting trout, they are only in certain parts of the river.

When looking for bass, look for troughs specifically around sandbars - they circle these constantly looking for food.

Also you didnt say whether your spinning or baitfishing - so im going with bait on this!

https://slaneyfishing.com/probably-best-shore-fishing-tutorial-will-ever-watch/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

ardinn wrote: »
    Learning to catch bass is easy - It just takes years and years of experience and knowledge! And Luck.

Have a look at these videos, they tell you what to look for, and why fish are in certain parts of the sea and not others. Its the same as hunting trout, they are only in certain parts of the river.

When looking for bass, look for troughs specifically around sandbars - they circle these constantly looking for food.

Also you didnt say whether your spinning or baitfishing - so im going with bait on this!

Sounding like an idiot but can you explain or show me a pic of a trough and sandbar? I tried numerous times around youghal last summer with absolutely no joy and I know they are there, I just don't know where to cast. I would be spinning preferably, but if bait is better I'd go that way.

Sounding like an idiot but can you explain or show me a pic of a trough and sandbar? I tried numerous times around youghal last summer with absolutely no joy and I know they are there, I just don't know where to cast. I would be spinning preferably, but if bait is better I'd go that way.

I linked you to three videos that explain the whole thing :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Im beginning to think watercraft might be important when trying to find sea bass.

I plan on putting a lot of work in this year to get my first

Just need the water temp to rise

Im beginning to think watercraft might be important when trying to find sea bass.

I plan on putting a lot of work in this year to get my first

Just need the water temp to rise

Watercraft is everything! Everything!

Here is an article with some videos on where to find them and why

Here is another I did on barometric pressure and how that affects fish and why

https://slaneyfishing.com/barometric-pressure-fishy-myth-untapped-resource/

And here is an unfinished one im doing about Solunar theory - according to my calculations between 8pm and 11pm on monday and tuesday will be high probability catch times - if you can get out, do, and we can compare results.

https://slaneyfishing.com/solunar-theory-yup-were-going-there/

I am getting very sciency about my fishing, but dont want it to overtake the fun and spontaneous aspect of most of the fishing I do, but have a read and a watch of the above and see what you think.

The most important of the above is the 1st, the shore tutorial - that is all proven fact, and when you learn to read the ocean floor from whats happening on top, then you increase your chances greatly.

If you are fishing where there are no fish - you will not catch fish, and 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water. I'm not sure if you fly fish, but if you do, you will know the importance of whats happening on the surface in relation to the bottom. It is the very same for the sea!

Really great stuff especially the air pressure, im going out tomorrow evening to mark and will probably headout monday too

Will fish 4 hours up

Wont get a chance to check the sand at low water ill be fishing a man made rock structure that extends far out to the sea (its not a harbour)

Will probably use a wave worm senko and a feed shallow

Ended up trying an estuary in north dublin 2 hours before the top of the tide

Saw something jump as soon as i got there but not like sea trout jump, i reckon with sea bass you need to be there a lot earlier while its flooding and there moving up the channel

Water temp was at 8.2 so probably a bit too cold still it was a lovely night for it

The quest continues

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Got one off the coast of May on paddys weekend out by Ross port direction on lug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Watercraft is everything! Everything!

Here is an article with some videos on where to find them and why

Here is another I did on barometric pressure and how that affects fish and why

https://slaneyfishing.com/barometric-pressure-fishy-myth-untapped-resource/

And here is an unfinished one im doing about Solunar theory - according to my calculations between 8pm and 11pm on monday and tuesday will be high probability catch times - if you can get out, do, and we can compare results.

https://slaneyfishing.com/solunar-theory-yup-were-going-there/

I am getting very sciency about my fishing, but dont want it to overtake the fun and spontaneous aspect of most of the fishing I do, but have a read and a watch of the above and see what you think.

The most important of the above is the 1st, the shore tutorial - that is all proven fact, and when you learn to read the ocean floor from whats happening on top, then you increase your chances greatly.

If you are fishing where there are no fish - you will not catch fish, and 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water. I'm not sure if you fly fish, but if you do, you will know the importance of whats happening on the surface in relation to the bottom. It is the very same for the sea!
    very interesting post and i don't want what Im going to say as contradicting the stuff about the pressure but more as info you might find interesting .
    As a commercial fisherman [ crab , lobster and a few pollock in winter ] , their is a noticeable decline in catches of shellfish during high pressure when we get that easterly wind and pollock just disappear . Winter or summer makes no difference , easterly wind is known as a hungry wind , and its the same on the west coast , everybody hates that wind and the maddening part is it often brings lovely settled weather . We find fishing is best with s /sw wind with an approaching depression . Even the angling boats in kilmore say the same thing , easterly wind is terrible
    I also would be a relatively regular bass angler , [ had an 11 and 1/2 pounder a few years back , a fantastic fish ] and down here in the south east i always got more fish over the top of the springs especially in september , top of the tides usually coincides with first / last daylight then as well
    maybe the info is interest to you for your ''project ''

very interesting post and i don't want what Im going to say as contradicting the stuff about the pressure but more as info you might find interesting .
    As a commercial fisherman [ crab , lobster and a few pollock in winter ] , their is a noticeable decline in catches of shellfish during high pressure when we get that easterly wind and pollock just disappear . Winter or summer makes no difference , easterly wind is known as a hungry wind , and its the same on the west coast , everybody hates that wind and the maddening part is it often brings lovely settled weather . We find fishing is best with s /sw wind with an approaching depression . Even the angling boats in kilmore say the same thing , easterly wind is terrible
    I also would be a relatively regular bass angler , [ had an 11 and 1/2 pounder a few years back , a fantastic fish ] and down here in the south east i always got more fish over the top of the springs especially in september , top of the tides usually coincides with first / last daylight then as well
    maybe the info is interest to you for your ''project ''

A SW wind is definitely better, but im not sure where high pressure is stated as a good time - its an average time, the article clearly states a fast dropping barometer is the best of all, where fish feed up before heading to deep sheltered water out of the upcoming bad weather. So this ties in beautifully with the upcoming depression you find so good :D

A SW wind is definitely better, but im not sure where high pressure is stated as a good time - its an average time, the article clearly states a fast dropping barometer is the best of all, where fish feed up before heading to deep sheltered water out of the upcoming bad weather. So this ties in beautifully with the upcoming depression you find so good :D
    its more or less in line with your thinking . thats why i should have read your post properly and not just glanced over it .
    With all the easterly wind this winter since ophelia passed through the fishing has been brutall all winter and its only in the last few weeks a few pollock [small] are being caught by the angling boats . water temperature was down to just under 5 degrees at one stage and about 7 would be the usual low . Normally we would see loads of dogfish in the pots but again its only in the past few week a few have started to re appear along with a few octapuss so maybe with the bit of s/ sw wind lately it will bring a bit if life back .
    hopefully a few bass might appear this month if i hear of any thing i'll post it hear

Gunna try again Friday and fish from low right up and probably a few hours on the turn, hoping and praying a bass takes my lure :D

On a side note do bass actually jump or do they kind of make a disturbance on the surface??

Gunna try again Friday and fish from low right up and probably a few hours on the turn, hoping and praying a bass takes my lure :D

On a side note do bass actually jump or do they kind of make a disturbance on the surface??
    have seem them 'breaking the water '' , personally i have never seen them jumping but people claim to have seen them .
    if you use 'rapallas ' i used to do well on 2 in particular , foil sardine and blue pilchard

its more or less in line with your thinking . thats why i should have read your post properly and not just glanced over it .
    With all the easterly wind this winter since ophelia passed through the fishing has been brutall all winter and its only in the last few weeks a few pollock [small] are being caught by the angling boats . water temperature was down to just under 5 degrees at one stage and about 7 would be the usual low . Normally we would see loads of dogfish in the pots but again its only in the past few week a few have started to re appear along with a few octapuss so maybe with the bit of s/ sw wind lately it will bring a bit if life back .
    hopefully a few bass might appear this month if i hear of any thing i'll post it hear

Bass are around in numbers now - I was out monday night and blanked but was talking to a fella who caught 15 300m above me on old bawn. Other lads who had 10 during the day and some lads spinning with a couple each.

My solunar theory worked, I'm obviously just not able to fish :D

Bass are around in numbers now - I was out monday night and blanked but was talking to a fella who caught 15 300m above me on old bawn. Other lads who had 10 during the day and some lads spinning with a couple each.

My solunar theory worked, I'm obviously just not able to fish :D

it was near enough top of the tide then but the bass would do your head in . Good luck to you , hope you get a couple
    If you down this way try the forlorn point in kilmore , i used to get them there from the boat but casting in towards shore , a couple of kilmore guys do well there

Been out a few times since still not caught

Losing the will!

Dear Bass please eat my lure,

Regards

Frustrated Angler

• Registered Users Posts: 20 heyitsfranklin

Just an FYI for anyone who's not already aware... bass regulations are currently catch and release for all of 2018.

http://www.fishinginireland.info/regulations.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

Fantastic video, thanks for posting it. Recognised all those features from many walks at my home town beach. Looking forward to trying out new knowledge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement