Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bars in Dublin to drink alone at?

Options
  • 17-04-2018 12:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49

I'll be living in Dublin for the next 3 months and I'd like to know some good bars that I could go to around the Temple bar and Camden street areas. What I'm really looking for is bars with big crowds and free entry, where you could go alone. I've already stumbled upon Flannery's and Quays. I must yet try the Trinity Inn.

And also, what nights are certain bars busy? I like the fact I can head into Temple Bar area, and it's busy every night because of the tourists. It'd be good to just have a few pints... because that's what I'm really after.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Cassidy's on Camden Street is grand for a quiet few pints, good trad session on a Sunday.
    Flannery's is busy every night nearly.
    Temple Bar is your best bet most nights if you want something lively, other than that I think Camden Street has Dublin's best pubs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭TheTruthIsMine

Cassidy's on Camden Street is grand for a quiet few pints
    He said he was looking for big crowds, not a beer belly.

When he said "that's what I'm really after", I think he was being sarcastic!

He said he was looking for big crowds, not a bear belly.

When he said "that's what I'm really after", I think he was being sarcastic!

What is a bear belly? Cassidy's always has a good crowd. But not jammers either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Devitts across from Flannerys is a good spot, nowhere in temple bar with the possible exception of the palace bar. Neary’s off grafton street is grand too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

What is a bear belly? Cassidy's always has a good crowd. But not jammers either.

It is something you find on a bear

• Advertisement

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    It is something you find on a bear

Does a bear on the beer have a bear belly or a beer belly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

CulptPrit wrote: »
    I'll be living in Dublin for the next 3 months and I'd like to know some good bars that I could go to around the Temple bar and Camden street areas. What I'm really looking for is bars with big crowds and free entry, where you could go alone. I've already stumbled upon Flannery's and Quays. I must yet try the Trinity Inn.

And also, what nights are certain bars busy? I like the fact I can head into Temple Bar area, and it's busy every night because of the tourists. It'd be good to just have a few pints... because that's what I'm really after.

Any other suggestions?

So you are looking for the biggest busiest places to go and be alone?
    Interesting.

The Mercantile on Dame street, might do, it's usually steady.
    The Porter house in temple bar is usually rammed full of tourists at night.
    Hogans on South Great Georges street is big and gets busy.
    O'Neills on Church lane and Suffolk street can get pretty busy, but I haven't been there to many week nights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 CulptPrit

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Interesting.
    Well I'd arrive alone at least!;)
    The Mercantile on Dame street, might do, it's usually steady.
    The Porter house in temple bar is usually rammed full of tourists at night.
    Hogans on South Great Georges street is big and gets busy.
    O'Neills on Church lane and Suffolk street can get pretty busy, but I haven't been there to many week nights.
    This seems like a good answer finally! Thank you

Actually I'd been to the Workman before, but I can't remember if they charge in there or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Does a bear on the beer have a bear belly or a beer belly?

If he had a clip then it would be a bare bear beer belly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Toners (Baggot St)
    Grogans (South William St) Get yourself a ham and cheese toasty
    Kehoes
    The Long hall (south great georges street) good staging point to hit Hogans etc

Temple bar is full of tourists and stags but if you must the palace bar is on fleet st / temple bar but not too touristy or extortionate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Well I'd arrive alone at least!;)

Going out alone I'd say you're far better off going to a quieter place, initially. Far easier strike up conversations. Who knows you may even be able to get a few to join you then in the late bars

The busy late bars on Camden Street and the likes mainly consist of people in groups and from my experience most are there to have the craic in that group and will keep to themselves really.

But look, it can be done of course and fair play to ya for getting yourself out there anyway. Never personally understand the aversion some have to being on their own in a pub. But in the busy spots just be prepared for a lot of tedious conversation!

• Site Banned Posts: 218 ✭✭A Pint of Goo

Your best bet is a trad pub as these will be full of tourist girls you can chat up. Quite often there will one there on her own, bored and looking for someone to hangout with. I scored a Filpino chick last week and a couple of weeks before that an American girl.

I call this 'the harvest' as it contrasts with the lean times I am forced to go through from Autumn to Spring (Irish women generally find me repulsive).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭TheTruthIsMine

jr86 wrote: »
    The busy late bars on Camden Street and the likes mainly consist of people in groups and from my experience most are there to have the craic in that group and will keep to themselves really.
    True, but it seems to me that I'm more likely to get the shift there (or even the lay, as I did once), than anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Your best bet is a trad pub as these will be full of tourist girls you can chat up. Quite often there will one there on her own, bored and looking for someone to hangout with. I scored a Filpino chick last week and a couple of weeks before that an American girl.

I call this 'the harvest' as it contrasts with the lean times I am forced to go through from Autumn to Spring (Irish women generally find me repulsive).

Sorry couldn’t resist but as it the end of “harvest season” I hope you made out better than a lot of Irish farmers this year ;-)

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

It'd be good to just have a few pints... because that's what I'm really after.

Any other suggestions?

If I ever want just a few pints on my own then a hotel bar is the only option I look at. It lacks that uncomfortable factor of being on your own in a rowdy/busy place (some guys have no issue with this but I'd feel like a spare). There's a nice hotel bar directly beside the Living Room off O'Connell Street (name escapes me) and if you fancy something more lively the living room is a good spot (quite studenty though depending on the night)

If you are looking to pull, hotel bars are also a far easier setting , particularly midweek if you go to some of the more upmarket hotels - Morgan, Morrison , Clarence, Westbury as you will find plenty of lone travelling business women who can be a bit of a captive audience given they are stuck in a hotel from 530pm till the next morning often knowing nobody. Much easier to strike up a conversation with and the facilities required to progress matters are on-site!

Good presentation, conversational skills and a little bit of acting/exaggerating are required in this setting....

Advertisement