Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical

Options
  • 16-04-2018 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

I would like to add a light and socket in my shed, there is a 3x2.5 SWA cable going to the shed but it is only going as far as under the counter in my Kitchen.

Can i supply it from the socket under the presses or do i HAVE to go to the fuse board? Also, would i have to have a seperate small fuse board in the shed?, any advice would be great.

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Strictly speaking you should have at least 2 radial circuits dedicated to the kitchen. Therefore I would consider supplying a shed from a kitchen socket circuit as a no no. Without a doubt it would be best to supply the shed from a directed circuit and install a sub-distribution board in the shed. A conductor size of more than 2.5 mm sq. may be required depending on factors such as load size and length of cable run.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Johnny boy85

Ok thanks for that, i have no idea how i would get the cable to the fuse board, it is at least 15m from the end of the cable. The socket is not really needed, would i be able to supply a light from the socket in the kitchen using the 2.5 SWA, the shed is approx 8 mts from the house?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Most likely a 2.5 mm sq. cable will be sufficient so. However the points in my last post still stand. There may be other workable neat options with steel conduit for example.

Advertisement