Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn advice

Options
  • 16-04-2018 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

I am wondering what is best to do with my lawn between now and September. I've included some photos of the lawn below, it's about 90sqm in total.

Background

The lawn was sown in spring 2017 (by the builder, new build house).

By the time I got the house in Sept last year it was full of really large weeds and the grass seed around the edges had not grown. I used a weeding tool that pulls out the entire root on most of the big weeds, then applied weedkiller to the grass.

In November of last year I racked the grass, aerated it using a fork, and then spread seed mixed with compost.

This is the seed that I used https://mcguinnessseeds.com/product/deluxe-lawn-seed/ . It is much finer grass than the grass the builder sowed (which I guessing was No 2?)

What to do now?

Now we are in April it is looking a bit better. The new seed has grown and survived the winter, but it looks a bit thin. Some of the big weeds have returned.

I have used the weeding tool again to remove the big weeds at the root. Some of the roots are around 30cm in length! Now I am wondering what is best to do?

I am thinking of racking again, aerating with fork, and applying more seed\compost. Would this be best?

Weedkiller?

The grass is looking a bit yellow in areas and not very strong or thick, I am thinking it would not be a good idea to add weedkiller?

Nutrients

In terms of getting the grass stronger and greener, what nutrients should I be adding? I've read up a bit on this, but it's not clear to me what mix I should using in terms of Nitrogen and other elements. Should I just get something off the shelf in Woodies or go to an agri provider?

20180403_105321.jpg
    20180403_105336.jpg
    20180403_105349.jpg
    20180403_110112.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Any thoughts\suggestions here for what is best do to?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's still very young and hasn't had a full growing season of care.

I'd just throw on some ordinary weed & feed now and keep it regularly mowed through the summer but not too short. Water it in the unlikely event of us getting a proper dry spell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Best advice I can give is to cut it twice a week at about and inch. Don't go too low and don't let it grow too long. If you do that only the finer grasses will survive and after a while you'll be able to tell if you can cut any shorter. Half an inch is good if you have the right grass but with the average lawn you'll probably mess it up.

Don't do anything else but if you must give it some weed and feed as directed on the label but don't over do it.

If you are off on holiday see if you can get someone to cut it while you are gone.

At then end of the year you should have a better idea of any problems which you can then tackle. I can see some possible issues but its been so wet that you need to wait and see what its like after some better weather.

tbh for the time of year and the poor winter weather we've had it doesn't look bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Feed and Weed is brilliant, it really does wonders for the grass coming into summer time and you'll be cutting every 4 days at a high cutting level.

Once you go through a full growing season beyond summer it should look much healthier.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭shane b

My new lawn was very white/yellow in places for a long time too. Turns out i was mowing it too high at almost 3 inches. About 1.5 to 2 inches is what i was advised and some fertiliser like 7-6-17. Made a big difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

shane b wrote: »
    My new lawn was very white/yellow in places for a long time too. Turns out i was mowing it too high at almost 3 inches. About 1.5 to 2 inches is what i was advised and some fertiliser like 7-6-17. Made a big difference.

Thanks. Where did you get your 7-6-17 fertiliser ?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭shane b

Local co-op. Its agri fertilizer in a 50 kg bag. I have fair size area (850 sqm) to cover so the size was ok for me. You can buy fertiliser in garden centres in smaller bags but they are more expensive per kg. These may be more suitable for your size.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Fecking dandelions are driving me crazy there are dozens of the little bastards! Any suggestions on how to eradicate them?

TIA!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

As a general rule when would you recommend doing the last cut of the year? The reason I ask is because I have to store the machine off-site for the winter (due to lack of space).

On the same point, should I do anything to it before putting it in storage other than give it a hug and wave farewell for the winter? It's a medium-largish electric.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

As a general rule when would you recommend doing the last cut of the year? The reason I ask is because I have to store the machine off-site for the winter (due to lack of space).

On the same point, should I do anything to it before putting it in storage other than give it a hug and wave farewell for the winter? It's a medium-largish electric.

Thanks in advance.

you are getting ready early :D unless you are in australia
    some people have to cut into Nov / De - weather & ground dependent
    this year i started cutting in Jan

• Advertisement
Advertisement