Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President Michael D. Higgins is coming to Ballisodare

Options
  • 15-04-2018 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭

President Higgins will be here in Ballisodare on Friday afternoon 4pm (20th apr 2018) for the official naming of the "Martin Savage Bridge" the main street will be closed to traffic approx 4.30pm to 5pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

All Hail our diminutive overlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

All Hail our diminutive overlord.

will you be going down to greet him? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Damn and blast. I'll be coming back from Coolaney around that time. I'll have to take the longer route.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Who was Martin Savage anyway? Isn't there already a Martin Savage tce in town?

he was savage .. brutal so he was! ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

sligojoek wrote: »
    Who was Martin Savage anyway? Isn't there already a Martin Savage tce in town?

He was a member of the IRA from Ballisadare who was killed by the Brits during the war of Independence.

So it'll be filled with shinners then,think I'll give that and President Hobbit a miss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

God help the people of Ballisodare.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Just when I'm heading home. Great.

Mutant z wrote: »
    God help the people of Ballisodare.

Shouldn't effect you or anyone else in Limerick ;:p

• Advertisement

red sean wrote: »
    He was a member of the IRA from Ballisadare who was killed by the Brits during the war of Independence.

I better give it a miss as well - i'm a brit , already get blamed by proxy by some people for the famine and other things the british done to the Irish in the past :) .. i'd be lyched or have me kneecaps busted or something by the RIRA

Your call Andy.
    But, Martin Savage and the IRA of his era were worlds apart from the PIRA/RIRA or whatever else they call themselves nowadays.
    A bit of research into Irish history will tell you that and it's free for all Nationalities to read!
    Our President coming to bestow an honour on an Irish patriot is no different to the Queen of England bestowing a posthumous honour on Lord Whoever for his services to the crown.
    They're quite entitled to do it and rightly so!

Your call Andy.
    But, Martin Savage and the IRA of his era were worlds apart from the PIRA/RIRA or whatever else they call themselves nowadays.
    A bit of research into Irish history will tell you that and it's free for all Nationalities to read!
    Our President coming to bestow an honour on an Irish patriot is no different to the Queen of England bestowing a posthumous honour on Lord Whoever for his services to the crown.

of course .. and i never disputed it at all . hope everyone has a very enjoyable day and that the sun come out

I meant to say in the previous that unfortunately events like this are regularly hijacked by the "republicans" of today which is unwelcoming for many Irish people, not to mention non-Nationals!

I meant to say in the previous that unfortunately events like this are regularly hijacked by the "republicans" of today which is unwelcoming for many Irish people, not to mention non-Nationals!

what would a kind of event like that be like these days? , like would it be a solemn event, or a celebration kind of thing? - and when you say hijacked do you mean that it could be dangerous or something for non republicans to turn up at or frowned upon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Class of 82

Your call Andy.

I've only stumbled on this thread but find it interesting you think the IRA of that era are any different to the Provos for example. I've studied both extensively and fail to see it.

I've only stumbled on this thread but find it interesting you think the IRA of that era are any different to the Provos for example. I've studied both extensively and fail to see it.

I suppose because IRA given more airtime / more in the news

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

You'd think they would've given the bridge a lick of paint for the day.

the bloody bridge has been there for years, i have been driving over it for years... why are they only naming it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Jordi1910

the bloody bridge has been there for years, i have been driving over it for years... why are they only naming it now?

Probably only because it has no name ;)

• Advertisement

ah - some people have beautiful flowers named by them, or statues , or memorials ... poor ol' Martin Savage has a bridge named after him! ...

Someone better than a man of the gun should have been honoured. I mean, Alfred Middleton one of the electricians who kept the lights on for as long as possible on the Titanic as it was sinking, was born in Ballisodare. He was a real hero and I don’t see anything in Ballisodare in his honour. Probably because he wasn’t from an RC background.

ah - some people have beautiful flowers named by them, or statues , or memorials ... poor ol' Martin Savage has a bridge named after him! ...

Or maybe the poor ol’ bridge has Savage named after it!

Advertisement